• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Walton County BCC Votes to Close All Walton County Beaches
April 2 2020

During their 4:00 pm Emergency BCC Meeting, the Walton County Board of County Commissioners voted to amend Emergency Ordinance 2020-08 to now close all Walton County Beaches.

It shall be unlawful for any person to enter upon or remain on any beaches in Walton County.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
April 1

Governor Ron DeSantis announces he will issue Stay-at-Home order

Governor Ron DeSantis announced in a briefing on Wednesday he plans to sign a Stay-at-Home order that excludes essential services.

The order will go in effect at 12:01 a.m. April 3, and will last for until April 30.

The order says businesses are encouraged to provide carry-out and delivery for orders placed online or by the phone.

Essential activities were listed in the order include attending religious services, participating in recreational activity such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, and swimming, and taking care of or assisting pets and loved ones.

All essential activities must be done consistent with social distancing guidelines.

The order says other essential activities may be added with the approval of the State Coordinating Officer.

Read more.
I'm really confused. We're told that we're safer at home and many businesses have been forced to close, and many have chosen to close out of concern for the safety of their employees and customers, yet if you want to rent a golf cart, scooter, kayak, bicycle or other recreational items, just cruise on down to 30a and you can rent anything and hang out with others. I checked the websites of Butterfly Rentals in Seagrove Beach, and Peddlers in Seacrest and it appears that they're open for business. To ignore the well being of others is almost criminal but apparently they think they can make a few dollars. I applaud the responsible businesses who chose to close during this crisis.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
The order states that going outside to exercise is still allowed, so perhaps those businesses are deemed essential. We’re not on total lockdown just yet. The order is new and I think we’re all still figuring out what it means, because it seems to leave quite a bit for interpretation. If it’s concerning to you, it might be best to ask the Sheriff’s office and they will be able to provide you with a clearer answer.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The order states that going outside to exercise is still allowed, so perhaps those businesses are deemed essential. We’re not on total lockdown just yet. The order is new and I think we’re all still figuring out what it means, because it seems to leave quite a bit for interpretation. If it’s concerning to you, it might be best to ask the Sheriff’s office and they will be able to provide you with a clearer answer.

Golf carts are now more than ever a menace. There is no reason whatsoever that these things should be rented out right now. Covid carts is more like it.:cuss:

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
What concerns me is that these rental businesses exist to serve people on vacation and they've all been asked to leave. And I don't think anybody is going to get any exercise driving a golf cart or riding a motor scooter. The big bike rental place in Seacrest sells beer and wine at the rental counter so it's a hot spot for locals and tourists. Not a very healthy environment when social distancing is the order of the day.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com