• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Don't see how this is anything to be happy about. Also don't see how "ropes, chains, signs, or fences" meant to keep people off of the beach are 1st amendment issues. It's about who has the money.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Don't see how this is anything to be happy about. Also don't see how "ropes, chains, signs, or fences" meant to keep people off of the beach are 1st amendment issues. It's about who has the money.
I understand that it feels that way to many, but it is about so much more than money. Just like you believe that people with "money" are trying to keep others off the beach, an argument could, and has been made by property owners, that money (tourism) is the reason that their property rights are under attack. The Customary Use Ordinance has not been struck down at this point, so instead of looking at this as a way to keep people off the beach, look at it as an opportunity to dintinguish private property vs. public property and follow the customary use restrictions when on private beaches. Without signs, there is no way to differentiate. Respectful beachers are not the problem for most gulf front owners. Give respectful customary use a try and encourage others to do the same. You might be surprised to find that everyone can enjoy the beach together again.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Looks like it might be time to enforce that WCSO SOP...or did that just go in the shredder?
:doh:

Purrmaid

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2016
Seagrove
From the ruling "7. Costs to be taxed against Defendant"
I wonder how much this unconstitutional ordinance cost the county ?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I understand that it feels that way to many, but it is about so much more than money. Just like you believe that people with "money" are trying to keep others off the beach, an argument could, and has been made by property owners, that money (tourism) is the reason that their property rights are under attack. The Customary Use Ordinance has not been struck down at this point, so instead of looking at this as a way to keep people off the beach, look at it as an opportunity to dintinguish private property vs. public property and follow the customary use restrictions when on private beaches. Without signs, there is no way to differentiate. Respectful beachers are not the problem for most gulf front owners. Give respectful customary use a try and encourage others to do the same. You might be surprised to find that everyone can enjoy the beach together again.
Nice in theory but if it includes signs, chains and fences on the beach I am against it.

Loss of right of ways, clear cutting land, paving dunes, signs on every inch of roadway, traffic jams ... all problems. But taking it out on to the beach is evil.