• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
The governor will determine what happens and when regarding restaurants and rentals. I would think the county could just wait for these decisions. But they are watching our neighbors open beaches for locals and I guess they are trying to do something similar. As far as the date, I think it gives them and Sheriff and South Walton Fire a few days to prepare for beach patrol, enforcement, etc.

I am proud of Walton County to have closed the beaches in mid March when things were crazy crowded. They acted to protect the community. I would like to see them wait a while longer to open up the beaches for many reasons. Groups of 10 is safe social distancing? I don't think so. People are still visiting. And now more will come.

Agreed. One issue that became clear at yesterday's meeting is that WC has no control at all over vacation rentals, which is unfortunate. A phased in opening of the beaches, then vacation rentals later in the month would have made more sense, but there's simply no way to do that. I saw an email last night from Sand Dollar One vacation rentals in response to yesterday's decision with the headline "Book Your Quarantine Escape!".

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
In ky the department handling the claims had to hire up to 1200 people to answer the phones. Normally it would be 10 or 12 people. Huge amount of claims to work through in most states. (But we do have the most popular governor.) Ellen
Florida’s processing problems go back to to 2013.