• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I'd feel better about the CE salaries being so high if I felt as though code was properly enforced in the county, but we are talking about a M-F, 9-5 department which appears to be powerless to enforce what little code we have around here.

The abandoned, half-finished houses over at Inlet Beach, which are an eyesore and a hazard, have been sitting there for two years.

New construction is what, maybe 5% of what it was three years ago?

I just don't feel like I'm getting my value for the $$.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
I'd feel better about the CE salaries being so high if I felt as though code was properly enforced in the county, but we are talking about a M-F, 9-5 department which appears to be powerless to enforce what little code we have around here.

The abandoned, half-finished houses over at Inlet Beach, which are an eyesore and a hazard, have been sitting there for two years.

New construction is what, maybe 5% of what it was three years ago?

I just don't feel like I'm getting my value for the $$.

Just a question: What would you like them to do with those houses? They are all private property; they can't just go and clean up jobsites. From my understanding there are open cases on all of those houses. (Not really what this thread is about, sorry)

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Just a question: What would you like them to do with those houses? They are all private property; they can't just go and clean up jobsites. From my understanding there are open cases on all of those houses. (Not really what this thread is about, sorry)

I'd like them to order the owner to either finish them or tear them down, and when that doesn't happen, they go tear them down and fine the owner for the cost. If they are bank owned, put a lien on them so that the bank has to pay.

It really has been years. How would you like to own one of the homes in that area?

Yes, they are private property, but I'm pretty sure a building permit has some requirements around it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Coincidentally, I was reading the Walton Sun article the other day about the health hazards those houses in Inlet Beach pose, and that the County was going to take action. Then, I read the date of the old paper and it was from 2008! By the way, it was reported that one didn't have a building permit posted, but it is likely that it has fallen over and blown away. Not to get sidetracked on those houses and private property rights, but from all that I understand, Code Enforcement operates in a reactionary way, going on calls reported. They are not out on active patrol, saving people's lives, nor pulling over cars at 3am. As I understand it, there staff has been cut dramatically, so maybe few remaining, are paid more to handle all of the work load. It just seems backwards that their salaries are higher than first responders such as Sheriff's officers, FireFighter's etc. I know far too many people who would take a $50,000 salary for a 9-5 like Code Enforcement.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Coincidentally, I was reading the Walton Sun article the other day about the health hazards those houses in Inlet Beach pose, and that the County was going to take action. Then, I read the date of the old paper and it was from 2008! By the way, it was reported that one didn't have a building permit posted, but it is likely that it has fallen over and blown away. Not to get sidetracked on those houses and private property rights, but from all that I understand, Code Enforcement operates in a reactionary way, going on calls reported. They are not out on active patrol, saving people's lives, nor pulling over cars at 3am. As I understand it, there staff has been cut dramatically, so maybe few remaining, are paid more to handle all of the work load. It just seems backwards that their salaries are higher than first responders such as Sheriff's officers, FireFighter's etc. I know far too many people who would take a $50,000 salary for a 9-5 like Code Enforcement.

Drastically? I think they lost one position but may have it wrong.

NorthCounty

Beach Comber
Jun 27, 2009
Planning Director $ 105,000 (Was $128,209 until Reorganization)

Still an outrageous salary for someone who now supervises only five people. It's especially out of line when compared to the responsibilities and number of employees the other Directors.

Last edited:
I doubt they refused. The WCTA gets them all the time. They are public record and refusing could land a person in the pokey.

WMBB's website states:
Please note the School Districts were unable to meet our public records request but did supply links to their salary schedules.

WTF? Okaloosa's School District was able to repond to the Daily News' request for simular records. What would have been the response if the BCC, the Clerk, the Sheriff or other officers had only provided a schedule instead of the real records?
If the school board does not a comprehensive list on someone's computer that shows every emplyee's salary, then they need to hire a decent accountant. Why should their employees get a pass and CE officers get drilled over what they make?:bang::bang::bang: