• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
To the people who claim everything is hunky dory, those of us who are parents only want the best for our children and conduct from elected school officials to act in an ethical manner. We have concerns and questions aren't answered by those who can answer them. The truth is that some excellent teachers have been dismissed for undisclosed reasons and teachers who are still teaching live in a world of fear and intimidation. The teachers with tenure can be thankful for job security. And thanks to Florida's political machine, new teachers can look forward to being dismissed even if they do a great job.

You are right...and it is not a matter of everything being hunky dory. My statement is that teachers and schools are doing the best they can with what they have. Could it be better, of course. But change needs to happen at state levels before much can happen locally. It is a shame that teachers can be let go at the end of each year...but that is mandated at the state level. I think if parents and the community are disappointed in how things are happening and not getting answers locally, then perhaps we must then take it up to the state.

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
I'm speaking as a former teacher. I taught for 27 years in another state and when my husband retired we moved to Walton county where we had owned a home for 20 years. I had no trouble getting a teaching job in an elementary school and was told the district wanted experienced teachers. I started teaching when I was 21 with no interruption in service until 2010. I feel that I'm a good teacher but after 4 years in Walton county with excellent student performance and good evaluations, I was told to clean my room out on the last day of school. I would love to know the reason. What did I do wrong? Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was being paid a salary based on my years of experience and my masters degree. I was replaced with an entry level teacher from Washington County. I taught first grade and my kids had great test scores. These are facts and I can document them, since there have been calls for the truth in this discussion.

That is very unfortunate that this has happened. I would like to think that you are one of few that perhaps did not have just cause for nonrenewal...just curious, did you attempt to apply at other schools within the district after this happened?

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
That is very unfortunate that this has happened. I would like to think that you are one of few that perhaps did not have just cause for nonrenewal...just curious, did you attempt to apply at other schools within the district after this happened?

In 2010, I was one of just a handful of teachers who were non-renewed. That year the district hired more than 60 teachers. I applied for more than 50 elementary positions. Since I had taught 4 years had they rehired me law required that I be given a professional services contract or tenure, so I wasn't considered. Obviously there was no reduction teachers. Other teachers have had similar experiences. In 2011, I applied for 30 positions and received no calls for an interview. I lost a career that I dearly loved and given no explanation. And for the law doesn't require that a teacher be non-renewed at the end of the annual contract period as one other poster has suggested. I applied in other counties but I was told that former employees and residents of those counties get first consideration which is the right thing to do. Since I was replaced by a young teacher from Washington County, that obviously isn't the policy in Walton County. It seems to be an unwritten policy in Walton County not to employ former teachers.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I found this petition online concerning the non-renewal of teacher, Cindy Busbee, at West DeFuniak Elementary School. It was posted in July of 2011.
http://www.change.org/petitions/stand-up-for-someone-who-stands-up-for-our-children[/QUOTE

Teachers that I know have said this is typical of the way Walton Schools treats teachers. And they're scared out of their wits that this will happen to them. Florida has some screwed up laws but I seriously doubt that school districts are required to strip hard working teachers of not only their jobs, but self esteem.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I noticed a called meeting of the school board for the 27th. at 5:00 PM. The last called meeting lasted 10 minutes but not many people were in attendence. Perhaps this might be an opportunity for the public to give some input, although I can assure you they don't want any public input. The public comments used to be limited to 3 minutes and now they've cut it to 2 minutes. I guess the next step will be to cut it to 30 seconds.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The Florida Sunshine Act requires public meetings to provide for reasonable opportunities for the public to speak at meetings. I guess Mrs. Anderson gets to decide what is reasonable.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Doesn't change who decides how long the public gets to speak. Nor does it change that your response was a little over the top for someone just setting the record straight on who decides how long the public gets their say.

Last edited:

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Ms. Leonard, I apologize if my response seemed over the top. I suppose it was based upon the input of multiple posters who have echoed similar concerns about the board's functional independence. Until your fact-based response of "sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't", no one has really corrected other's assertions. Thank you for your insight, it fully clarified the matter with thought-provoking insight.

Last edited by a moderator: