• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
WJHG-TV (@WJHG_TV)
3/6/14, 11:30 AM
Walton County School Superintendent Carlene Anderson says she will not seek re-election. Her plan is to retire. Favors appointing Supt.

Watch Channel 7 tonight for the full story

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I couldn't make it to the school board meeting. I, like a lot of other people have to work until after 5 but I've heard and read what went on. It's too bad the cold hard facts about our school system is just now reaching the public. And we're stuck with a tyrant of a superintendent until her term runs out.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I definitely support appointment of a superintendent, but we have to do our research. Who will decide qualifications? Who will appoint? If we allow the current BOE this authority, we could end up with Carlene under a long-term contract and even less accountability. In some districts, the commissioners appoint the BOE to staggering terms (qualifications in the law) and the BOE appoints the super ( qualifications codified as well).

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I definitely support appointment of a superintendent, but we have to do our research. Who will decide qualifications? Who will appoint? If we allow the current BOE this authority, we could end up with Carlene under a long-term contract and even less accountability. In some districts, the commissioners appoint the BOE to staggering terms (qualifications in the law) and the BOE appoints the super ( qualifications codified as well).

I understand your concerns, but I think at some point you have to allow your elected officials to govern even if you don't trust them. There are already personalities on that board who appear to dislike one another as it is. Personally I think mistakes could be made that will cost us but I also think this is the way to go and we will have a chance to lobby the elected for input into qualifications. It almost sounds as though you would like to run the district by referendum and I can already imagine how that would work out.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I couldn't make it to the school board meeting. I, like a lot of other people have to work until after 5 but I've heard and read what went on. It's too bad the cold hard facts about our school system is just now reaching the public. And we're stuck with a tyrant of a superintendent until her term runs out.

Thankfully many are choosing to be optimistic about the future instead of continuing to dwell in the past.

Many positive things have happened in just the last month, including teachers pulling together and finding strength and confidence in each other, the community getting behind the teachers and referendums that will change the future for the better of schools, and more eyes in general on the district and how it is run. Also, meetings are going to start to rotate between the north and south parts of the county, so attendance will be easier for all of us. Like you, I am working tomorrow and will miss the meeting. :sosad:

It is possible to be a part of positive and progressive change to our school system. I do admit I am puzzled by the vocal few who continue to keep trying to keep the negative at front and center, which is completely nonproductive.

So, for anyone who is interested in the latest, there is a WCSD board meeting tomorrow night in DeFuniak, and it will be a good one if you can attend. The board will be looking at the teacher contract in executive session, but it would be nice to have people there in support of meeting the teachers' contract demands, which are supposedly only $100,000 different than what the district is offering. Also, there will be votes on the referendums for appointing the superintendent and the 1/2 mil transfer. An interesting agenda item is board member Gail Smith will be addressing the board towards the end of the meeting.

http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/agenda-and-minutes?EventInstance_id=ca0abb49-e53e-471e-b0b9-1c713a459762

Let's make the good stuff happen people!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The referendum to appoint rather than elect a superintendent will be on the August ballot by a 4-1 vote (Gail Smith was the no vote).

The half mil transfer referendum will stay on the May ballot.

Thanks to everyone who sent messages to the board!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think I am comfortable with that. Board Member Gail Smith may not get my not get my vote in her next election. Big decision will be how the contract with the teachers comes out.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Gail Smith won't be getting my vote. I'd love to know what her reasoning is to keep the "any yahoo that gets elected plays a key role in your child's future" standard versus hiring a qualified individual.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Gail Smith won't be getting my vote. I'd love to know what her reasoning is to keep the "any yahoo that gets elected plays a key role in your child's future" standard versus hiring a qualified individual.

I think she has a valid point as for the cost, because it is unknown. Unfortunately I think it will cost more because the school board gets to decide the pay and it's not set by the state. Fortunately though the school board will also be able to hold the individual accountable for actions that aren't in the best interest of our schools. At the same time depending on who is elected to those positions the Superintendent could be a political football much like the county administrator has been, although that seems to have been ironed out, I Think?.