• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
My point in mentioning politics is this- I heard that there were only 2,000 doses and they’ve been booked. I looked at going to Atlanta to get a relative the vaccine so as to escape this local shambolic “kabuki” as kwalsh calls it. Love that by the way because theater is what it is. I google and see an article stating that in the county of Dekalb, in which I grew up, they were given 2500 doses. Big whoop. No point in going there either. Why dole out pissant quantities except to avoid having to make a politically unpopular decision of where to begin? Better to start somewhere with full on vaccination and work outward rather than dispersing it so widely and thinly that it becomes effectively useless. I hope to read that dekalb has more and that Walton county does also. Every single scum of the earth politician, which is every single politician. I’m not picking sides, they all suuuucccckkk. To think differently is foolish and naive. Best of luck to all in the Phase 1 vaccine hunt.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Just some amusing math:

Population of Walton County (July 2020 census data): 74,071
Percent of Walton County population age 65 and older: 20,2%
Population of Walton County age 65 or older: 14,962
Let's estimate 30% of them tried to get appointments yesterday: 4,489

That would be 4,489 folks (probably making multiple attempts) to call into ONE Walton County Department of Health phone number. Gee....the phone and internet system backed up like clogged plumbing...... (Who wouldda thunk???)

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
You forgot about the number of snowbirds that were trying to get in as well.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Right. As posted above they are not taking appointments until further notice.

Due to the number of requests for Vaccinations, we have exceeded the number of available vaccines. If you do not receive a call back, there are no available appointments. We do look forward to receiving additional doses very soon and we will advise you as soon as we do. Stay tuned to social media and our websites (Walton County and FDOH-Walton) for appointment availability.

Thanks, Teresa.... Was not aware the Application Form was just a band-aid fix put in place after the phone and internet links failed--and then removed once the vaccines ran out.

Actually, a permanent on-line "take-a-number, you-will-be-served-when-your-number-is-called" approach would have avoided many of these problems:

1. Apply using a permanent on-line application form.

2. Submit it--let the DOH software issue you a number via return Email.

3. Once a number of vaccine doses are received, let DOH "broadcast" that they can then serve "numbers xx through yy" via the internet, giving a date, time and location.

4 As an aside, DOH could also include a statement that "if some residents in the xx through yy category do not attend, there may be a limited number of doses available for others. Residents outside the xx through yy range may voluntarily attend in an effort to receive one of these limited "no show" doses."

Heck...after all, this isn't rocket science..... If the above "take a number--you will be served" works for New York City delicatessens, it can work here as well....[/QUOTE]

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Some interesting "Moderna Math" related to the first delivery of doses.....

Moderna calls for a second ("booster") shot 28 days after the first shot. That implies those SoWal'ers getting rollout shot this week will need the booster shot in early February. This obligates Moderna, Walton DOH and the "supply chain" to respond accordingly, to meet the early February date. If (about) 1,300 Walton County folks get the initial roll-out shot, then an essential 1,300 additional (booster) shots will be needed in four weeks. That same math applies to those getting a:

Week 2 initial shot and Week 5 booster,
Week 3 initial shot, and Week 6 booster,
Week 4 initial shot and Week 7 booster, etc, etc

Effectively Walton DOH (and Moderna and the supply chain) have already locked into a long-term commitment driven by the 28-day cycle. We'll see if DOH can meet these hard suspense dates.

Second observation: If Moderna, Walton DOH, and the supply chain do, in fact, provide the minimum essential 1,300 shots four weeks from now, that's nothing to seriously boast about--all those shots would go to the First Week recipients--with none available to others awaiting their first shots.

In short, the initial roll-out quantity has just driven the schedule and essential demand for weeks to come. This is not just true for Walton Couny--but also for any other county or state largely reliant on the Moderna vaccine. No complaining here, just making some observations.

Let's see how well Moderna, the supply chain (and most critically) our DOH meet the challenge facing us in coming weeks/months. Perhaps the best Plan B will be Publix, Walgreens, etc, when/if DOH faulters.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Some interesting "Moderna Math" related to the first delivery of doses.....

Moderna calls for a second ("booster") shot 28 days after the first shot. That implies those SoWal'ers getting rollout shot this week will need the booster shot in early February. This obligates Moderna, Walton DOH and the "supply chain" to respond accordingly, to meet the early February date. If (about) 1,300 Walton County folks get the initial roll-out shot, then an essential 1,300 additional (booster) shots will be needed in four weeks. That same math applies to those getting a:

Week 2 initial shot and Week 5 booster,
Week 3 initial shot, and Week 6 booster,
Week 4 initial shot and Week 7 booster, etc, etc

Effectively Walton DOH (and Moderna and the supply chain) have already locked into a long-term commitment driven by the 28-day cycle. We'll see if DOH can meet these hard suspense dates.

Second observation: If Moderna, Walton DOH, and the supply chain do, in fact, provide the minimum essential 1,300 shots four weeks from now, that's nothing to seriously boast about--all those shots would go to the First Week recipients--with none available to others awaiting their first shots.

In short, the initial roll-out quantity has just driven the schedule and essential demand for weeks to come. This is not just true for Walton Couny--but also for any other county or state largely reliant on the Moderna vaccine. No complaining here, just making some observations.

Let's see how well Moderna, the supply chain (and most critically) our DOH meet the challenge facing us in coming weeks/months. Perhaps the best Plan B will be Publix, Walgreens, etc, when/if DOH faulters.
I would expect commercial pharmacies to take over the bulk of vaccinations. As for any government action we will need to wait until we have competent, pro-science people back in charge.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I would expect commercial pharmacies to take over the bulk of vaccinations. As for any government action we will need to wait until we have competent, pro-science people back in charge.
May never happen at the state level.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Jim,

I certainly agree with you. To me, it's a no-brainer. Let Walgreens, Publix, CVS, etc take over the distribution and vaccination, just as they do with flu shots. These businesses already have processes, practices and computer database tools in place for this sort of stuff.

Let's see if common sense prevails.... One can hope.......