• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Somehow, these people, who don't know where they are, got here. I have a feeling they liked it here. And, I have a feeling, they will find out how to get back here. This whole concept of branding is very strange to me, but we had a recognizable brand called The Beaches of South Walton, we had a recognizable logo, the three red umbrellas. Why go to something different? This is going to help people know where they are? Why not call it MyBeach, or YourBeach, or FaceBeach, or, I got it!: [U]The[/U] Beach. (cue the sound of a lead balloon going down in flames...)

:lolabove:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think we should continue talking about how people should get involved in the process that is in the past. I'd like to know where we sign up for the time machine to go back to those meetings and presentations. :sarc:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'd also like to ask, if people are so confused, why are we changing things on them?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
During my last five years before retiring I flew over 4 million miles sometimes visiting four different cities and states in one week. On more than on occasion I woke up and had to look at my ticket to remember where I was.

:lolabove:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think we should continue talking about how people should get involved in the process that is in the past. I'd like to know where we sign up for the time machine to go back to those meetings and presentations. :sarc:
The process of many things is on-going. Get involved today so that you have a voice in the future.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The process of many things is on-going. Get involved today so that you have a voice in the future.

My experience with the TDC is that the "process" isn't very open. The big blue signs would be a pretty good example. After several very heated meetings on the topic they were removed, partially, and reworked into what we have today.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The only reason to rebrand is if you have been stealing livestock.

Has the TDC been cattle rustling?

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
My thoughts: People think/say they are in Destin for the same reason I say I'm from Chicago when I'm really from a suburb called Lombard. Most don't immediately recognize "Lombard" or "Beaches of South Walton" but they know "Chicago" and "Destin." It has nothing to do with branding or logos and everything to do with size.

It is a common understanding that we (meaning the residents & guests of S. Walton) don't want to be like Destin, we don't want the high-rises, over-development, traffic and congestion, etc... but guess what - you take the bad with the good. We don't have Destin's traffic, congestion or high-rises, and we don't have their name recognition either, because we don't (and can't) have the same number of visitors here. A new logo, slogan, whatever, is not going to change that. The money would have been much better invested in advertising and enhancing the uniqueness of our communities.

FWIW, I think the new logo & slogan looks gimmicky and over-manipulative. The umbrellas were fine. A healthy level of brand recognition can take years, and now we have to start all over.

Also, not everyone can attend meetings. Why didn't anyone post this here when it was initially proposed? Or on facebook? Or send a postcard to residents? Or any number of other ways to spread information in the 21st century? I can tell you the music line-up of every bar/restaurant along 30A for the next week, the spring break schedules of every college within driving distance, and every local fundraising event planned for the next 3 months. Why am I just now hearing about a decision that will have a great impact on the lives and livelihoods of my friends and neighbors, and that was initially proposed over a year ago? Why can't anyone who represents this community think even a little bit outside of the box? There are so many better ways to get feedback from residents (if it is actually desired) besides just expecting them to read a notice or attend a one-time meeting. It is disappointing and discouraging and leads me to think that those who represent us don't really care what we want.

It seems so many people, who I know love and care about this community, spend far too much time fighting over scraps, while the meat of every matter sits untouched and unnoticed.

<rant off>

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
My thoughts: People think/say they are in Destin for the same reason I say I'm from Chicago when I'm really from a suburb called Lombard. Most don't immediately recognize "Lombard" or "Beaches of South Walton" but they know "Chicago" and "Destin." It has nothing to do with branding or logos and everything to do with size.

It is a common understanding that we (meaning the residents & guests of S. Walton) don't want to be like Destin, we don't want the high-rises, over-development, traffic and congestion, etc... but guess what - you take the bad with the good. We don't have Destin's traffic, congestion or high-rises, and we don't have their brand recognition either, because we don't (and can't) have the same number of visitors here. A new logo, slogan, whatever, is not going to change that. The money would have been much better invested in advertising and enhancing the uniqueness of our communities.

FWIW, I think the new logo & slogan looks gimmicky and over-manipulative. The umbrellas were fine. A healthy level of brand recognition can take years, and now we have to start all over.

Also, not everyone can attend meetings. Why didn't anyone post this here when it was initially proposed? Or on facebook? Or send a postcard to residents? Or any number of other ways to spread information in the 21st century? I can tell you the music line-up of every bar/restaurant along 30A for the next week, the spring break schedules of every college within driving distance, and every local fundraising event planned for the next 3 months. Why am I just now hearing about a decision that will have a great impact on the lives and livelihoods of my friends and neighbors, and that was initially proposed over a year ago? Why can't anyone who represents this community think even a little bit outside of the box? There are so many better ways to get feedback from residents (if it is actually desired) besides just expecting them to read a notice or attend a one-time meeting. It is disappointing and discouraging and leads me to think that those who represent us don't really care what we want.

It seems so many people, who I know love and care about this community, spend far too much time fighting over scraps, while the meat of every matter sits untouched and unnoticed.

<rant off>

That was really well said. The people in the TDC live in a bubble of their own importance.

Last edited: