• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TeeDeeZee

Beach Crab
Nov 26, 2011
I am currently a student at Florida Gulf Coast University but will be graduating in the spring of 2012 with a degree in resort and hospitality management. I have lined up a job in Seaside that I will be starting this May. I am looking to get myself a one bedroom in the area because I do not know anyone yet. After doing some searching I noticed that most one bedrooms that I have liked go for around 700-900. I am just unsure if I can afford that for 12 months and that is where my question comes in. Has anyone ever heard of landlords/owners dropping rent during the off season months even on a 12 month lease? Ex: may-aug $750 sept-April $500....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have not heard of it, usually the price is the same for each month. You can always try, but my guess is that if they wanted to charge more during season and less during the off season they wouldn't be offering a 12 month rental.

And $500 for a one bedroom is Sowal is not realistic. Those typically start at $900.

Althea352

Beach Comber
Dec 1, 2010
Santa Rosa Beach
I think the cheapest thing I've ever seen around here are the 1 br/studios at Hidden Villa's or whatever they are called in Seagrove with the Murphy beds.

TeeDeeZee

Beach Crab
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah that is what I have been finding. I have found a few places in the 700-1000 range, but didn't know if when september rolled around and they were empty, if owners were willing to drop it significantly rather than have it go empty. From what I have been finding it seems like it is clear that people are trying very hard to find winter renters. In my mind it makes sense to allow a tenant to stay through the off season months for lower as it will not only bring you more income but also save you the hassle of upkeep of the property and having to find new tenants... But then again, that is not for me to decide. haha Thanks for the input though!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Bear in mind that if you rent for less than 6 months you (legally) need to add in the whomping bed tax.

The people trying to find winter renters are the ones who rent short term and charge more for 1 week in the summer than you want to pay for 1 or 2 months. Renting to you long term is a big income loss for them. (Plus the reason they are probably looking for renters is that they are overpriced.)

Your best bet is to find a roommate or live further away. I have been keeping my eyes out for rentals for people for years and living in Sowal, by yourself will cost you. If you compromise on one of these it makes a big difference.

You have my sympathies, the long term rental market in Sowal sucks!

Natalie Jobling

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2010
Point Washington
renting with a friend

Hi,

Have you considered renting a room in a house and having a roommate? There are great people in this community with rooms to rent. Right now I have two rooms available and I have seen other posts about rooms for rent. That's a great way to get started and meet people and save some money. If you are interested in seeing my house and meeting me, my number is 850-419-4384.

slcooper1949

Beach Lover
Aug 27, 2007
I have to say Natalie is right on renting with a friend. Since you are young you should be able to find alot of room/sharing deals. It is very normal for a one bedroom to be anywhere from 750-900, usually that does include some utilities. You just have to keep checking on Sowal everyday as once in awhile you will find a great place, but I am sorry to say the rent will be the same even during the off months, which anymore isn't a very long time. Heck in Destin you can't find a one bedroom for less than 800. plus utilities and 30A is so much nicer.. So bite the bullet or share a house..
Dallas Girl

Natalie Jobling

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2010
Point Washington
Natalie's Room still available

I still have two rooms available. I'm pretty sure a friend is moving in with me in March, but we need another person. It's a really great house. If you'd like to come by and see it, just call me. 850-419-4384. I'm 36, I am in school and I work full time, but we have a lot of fun here. I love to cook and on the weekends it's not uncommon for me to get in the kitchen and make something and invite friends to swing by. For the most part, the house is very quiet and there are few parties here, but we occasionally light the firepit in the front yard and turn on the fairy lights. You would be undisturbed for your studies. I go to bed at 8:30 during the week (teacher) and not much later on the weekends unless I'm having a dinner party. We are right next to Eden Gardens State Park, which is a great place to go for walks and connect with nature. I do yoga and meditation, so there's no drama up in here! I'm 10 minutes from Seaside, you could even ride a bike there in May once you get your job. Hope this helps,
Natalie