• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
luvthebeach said:
That's been pretty much my guess too. Maybe the parents decided to just toss it out rather than leave a book full of scribblings.

Maybe it would help if I left a few coloring books and/or pads of paper for the kids. I might give it a try. I really enjoyed having a guest book out.
Our rental company says that to avoid losing the damage deposit, guests just throw damaged items away. Housekeeping crews are too busy to do an inventory, and they can't see a damaged item IF IT'S NOT THERE!

I really am disillusioned.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
As for your question about bringing a lot of "basic" stuff for children, Kurt, parents like having this stuff (e.g., porta-crib, high-chair, stroller, etc.) so that the parents can relax as well. We travelled with our children since the first one was 3 months old. At a minimum, we always had a stroller. We'd order cribs from hotels (we didn't stay in vacation rental homes when the kids were young -- frankly, didn't know about them and wish we had!). And the kids would eat on our laps if there weren't high chairs. So, perhaps that's why I'm sensitive to kids and parents -- I can think back to what we wish we had. And I know how great it feels when you find that someone has thought of these things for you, and it's good to pass that feeling along.

As for people ruining vacation rentals, we rent mostly to families and smaller groups. We have not had problems (other than what we would consider normal wear and tear), except that once I left a small suitcase labeled "Owner's clothes -- please leave on shelf" and it was gone the next time I came back a few months later. Could have been a guest or a substitute cleaning person, but once in over 3 years is OK with me -- and, of course, I didn't leave my best clothes in the bag. (and I don't leave bags of clothes around anymore).

I'm biased toward renting to families with children because they are so happy to find a nice place that is close to the beach and has the stuff they need to give their kids a good time so they can relax. I believe that in return for that appreciation, they treat our places very well, in part because they want to come back again. Also, I think families with children, especially young children, try to set a good example for their children. Note that it's also good to leave nice stuff for the parents --good movies, books, candles, etc., so they feel treated well, too. And Calvin and Hobbes for teenagers and older children...

Once summer, we had an origami book and paper at one of the cottages and people left their origami flowers in a vase -- very nice. We like to leave things in the cottages that draw parents and children together so that both parents and kids remember their vacation as having been relaxing time spent together (e.g., books in which parents and kids can search for things together -- "I Spy"; puzzles; games). A fantastic family game is "Outburst" for kids -- kids as young as four can enjoy the game along with older kids and adults (e.g. "name foods that you can eat with your fingers"; "name pets that kids enjoy most").

Clearly, I'm a believer that the environment significantly shapes a person's behavior, experience, and emotions (at home, at work, on vacation), so that's why I'm so interested in this thread. How do we create carefree vacation places that bring out the best in people and provide lifelong memories? Clearly, our beautiful beaches (even after hurricanes) and ocean help!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Kurt: I've thought of a few book ideas, with some specifically targeted to be helpful to guests/visitors/renters in SoWal. Photos would be great. Happy to talk sometime (it would be great to meet you). I have a book in the process of being written, called "What Predicts Success: (Hint) It's Not Your IQ" or I may call it "What Predicts Success: What Researchers Know that You Don't Know".

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Paula said:
As for your question about bringing a lot of "basic" stuff for children, Kurt, parents like having this stuff (e.g., porta-crib, high-chair, stroller, etc.) so that the parents can relax as well. We travelled with our children since the first one was 3 months old. At a minimum, we always had a stroller. We'd order cribs from hotels (we didn't stay in vacation rental homes when the kids were young -- frankly, didn't know about them and wish we had!). And the kids would eat on our laps if there weren't high chairs. So, perhaps that's why I'm sensitive to kids and parents -- I can think back to what we wish we had. And I know how great it feels when you find that someone has thought of these things for you, and it's good to pass that feeling along.

As for people ruining vacation rentals, we rent mostly to families and smaller groups. We have not had problems (other than what we would consider normal wear and tear), except that once I left a small suitcase labeled "Owner's clothes -- please leave on shelf" and it was gone the next time I came back a few months later. Could have been a guest or a substitute cleaning person, but once in over 3 years is OK with me -- and, of course, I didn't leave my best clothes in the bag. (and I don't leave bags of clothes around anymore).

I'm biased toward renting to families with children because they are so happy to find a nice place that is close to the beach and has the stuff they need to give their kids a good time so they can relax. I believe that in return for that appreciation, they treat our places very well, in part because they want to come back again. Also, I think families with children, especially young children, try to set a good example for their children. Note that it's also good to leave nice stuff for the parents --good movies, books, candles, etc., so they feel treated well, too. And Calvin and Hobbes for teenagers and older children...

Once summer, we had an origami book and paper at one of the cottages and people left their origami flowers in a vase -- very nice. We like to leave things in the cottages that draw parents and children together so that both parents and kids remember their vacation as having been relaxing time spent together (e.g., books in which parents and kids can search for things together -- "I Spy"; puzzles; games). A fantastic family game is "Outburst" for kids -- kids as young as four can enjoy the game along with older kids and adults (e.g. "name foods that you can eat with your fingers"; "name pets that kids enjoy most").

Clearly, I'm a believer that the environment significantly shapes a person's behavior, experience, and emotions (at home, at work, on vacation), so that's why I'm so interested in this thread. How do we create carefree vacation places that bring out the best in people and provide lifelong memories? Clearly, our beautiful beaches (even after hurricanes) and ocean help!

I've thought about leaving candles...I love them myself..but I've hesitated for fear of fire. I know guests can certainly bring their own (I often do when I travel), but since we don't always know who is renting our place (we use a management company) I've been afraid of creating a fire hazard. Am I being overly cautious? I think it's a neat idea.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think you all are very nice and have some great ideas for your guests. However, if you have a lot of repeat visitors it is probably because they love something besides the extra touches. IMHO, as nice as it is, I'd stop spending my money! FYI...We rent through WC and are not able to leave extras out. I too have had my guest book taken and thought it might have been a mistake, by why wouldn't someone be decent enough to send it back?

For those of you that are self-renters....Do you send your guests a list of guidelines for being a good/safe guest on the beaches before they come? I think everyone should...including the big developments as it gives people a chance to read up before they arrive. If they receive it only on arrival, they may be too excited to read it since they want to get down to those gorgeous beaches! Just a thought.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
luvthebeach said:
I've thought about leaving candles...I love them myself..but I've hesitated for fear of fire. I know guests can certainly bring their own (I often do when I travel), but since we don't always know who is renting our place (we use a management company) I've been afraid of creating a fire hazard. Am I being overly cautious? I think it's a neat idea.

I did until I found candle wax all over my sofa and rug. Thank God they didn't burn something. Now I leave the candles in the owners closet for when we are there.

There are so many things I would love to do but..........after get bit a few times - - I use to leave a crockpot also - but after losing two in less than two seasons - I gave up - I guess they throw them out rather than clean it up.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Beachlover2 said:
I did until I found candle wax all over my sofa and rug. Thank God they didn't burn something. Now I leave the candles in the owners closet for when we are there.

There are so many things I would love to do but..........after get bit a few times - - I use to leave a crockpot also - but after losing two in less than two seasons - I gave up - I guess they throw them out rather than clean it up.

Woa! That settles it for me. I was so worried about the fire hazard that I never even thought about spilled candle wax! Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sueshore said:
I think you all are very nice and have some great ideas for your guests. However, if you have a lot of repeat visitors it is probably because they love something besides the extra touches. IMHO, as nice as it is, I'd stop spending my money! FYI...We rent through WC and are not able to leave extras out. I too have had my guest book taken and thought it might have been a mistake, by why wouldn't someone be decent enough to send it back?

For those of you that are self-renters....Do you send your guests a list of guidelines for being a good/safe guest on the beaches before they come? I think everyone should...including the big developments as it gives people a chance to read up before they arrive. If they receive it only on arrival, they may be too excited to read it since they want to get down to those gorgeous beaches! Just a thought.

Send a link to this site so they can get up to speed before and after the trip. Also - I will posting the guide once complete from the good tourist thread.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
... I too have had my guest book taken and thought it might have been a mistake, by why wouldn't someone be decent enough to send it back?
Perhaps it was signed by the Manning Brothers, or some other famous celeb. Some people are a too focused on themselves to care about your property. Shame on them.