• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The contract was awarded to Dalton Brothers because a majority on the BCC decided that low bid ALWAYS wins. As I understand it, anyone who knows anything about engineering and construction warned them it was a bad idea and they needed to make sure the winning bidder was in fact capable of doing the work. They ( not Meadows) declined to take that advice hoping that a cheap bridge finished on time would be a feather in their political caps. At the same time, the disaster that it became really doesn't hurt them except for some voters on Western 30a, but not with voters throughout the county.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
The contract was awarded to Dalton Brothers because a majority on the BCC decided that low bid ALWAYS wins. As I understand it, anyone who knows anything about engineering and construction warned them it was a bad idea and they needed to make sure the winning bidder was in fact capable of doing the work. They ( not Meadows) declined to take that advice hoping that a cheap bridge finished on time would be a feather in their political caps. At the same time, the disaster that it became really doesn't hurt them except for some voters on Western 30a, but not with voters throughout the county.
surely they had enough sense to put a late penalty in contract. Oh, they didn't?

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
County attorney determined the late penalties were not enforceable. Don't know the reasons why. Toward the end, an inspection was done and it was determined the builder did not put enough gravel down before paving. When the county told them it would have to be fixed, the builder walked. Never heard how much the county had to fork over to finish the project.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
County attorney determined the late penalties were not enforceable. Don't know the reasons why. Toward the end, an inspection was done and it was determined the builder did not put enough gravel down before paving. When the county told them it would have to be fixed, the builder walked. Never heard how much the county had to fork over to finish the project.
never never heard of a public works job without a bond.
So if builder walk he lost everything.

weeniedawg

Banned
Dec 18, 2010
Bruce
I always thought such contracts were awarded to contractors who bribed the politicians who were charged with awarding the contract.

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
Cliff Knuer with Peble and Rish says the pedestrian bike path bridges will have lights. I complained about light pollution and he basically said too bad