• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Now that 331 is getting 4-laned and is poised for extensive growth we should consider scenic corridor guidelines?

This from an email about last night's BCC meeting:

Along 331 the commissioners are looking at future growth. Jones said a report says there will be at least a 25% improvement. The idea is to allow any additional land tax to be used for the corridor. Commissioners agreed to have staff prepare a draft. Jones then began a presentation on proposed design standards for the 331 corridor. He said the standards will only be applied to new or major redevelopment projects, not existing projects. Since the portion south of the bay is already in the scenic corridor, the district will start at the north shore of the bay. Commissioners gave input on the 300 foot corridor, the percentage of displays on the landscaping buffer, the allowance of auto dealerships. Commissioner Comander asked to include a low water need landscaping requirement and no palm trees.

:clap:no palm trees hallelujah!

Although I like cabbage palms that are sort of native to big bend area I guess none are native here.

What say you?

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
NOTICE of PUBLIC WORKSHOP

The Walton County Department of Administration will be holding Public Workshops on Monday, August 26th at 5:00pm in the Board Room of the DeFuniak Springs Courthouse located at 571 US Highway 90, DeFuniak Springs, FL and on Thursday, September 5th at 5:00pm at the Freeport Community Center located at 16040 US Hwy 331 South, Freeport, FL 32439.

The purpose of these two Public Workshops is to receive public input and comments into the US 331 Corridor Design and Development Standards to be placed before the Walton County Board of County Commissioners for final approval and adoption.

Two or more Walton County Commissioners may also be in attendance.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Palmetto Bushs, a type of palm, is very much native to this part of Florida. I'd rather look at Palms then the other native tree, the pine tree.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Because locals don't like it when developers try to make LA look like South Florida.

Right on the mard, although I must admit I like the palm trees. Maybe that could be because I'm a transplant.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I have lived in North Florida all my life and the cabbage palms are part of the natural landscape. If tourist like the palms (and they do) then what is the problem? Everything around here caters to tourism. Why not put the time and wisdom on developing pedestrian or bike trails along Hwy 331. What about a park on the North end of the bridge? Why not offer sewer connections along the Hwy 331 corridor (believe it or not they don't). Are we concerned about how to landscape the island medians? How does the cabbage palm take away from the natural scenery? Did I not hear that someone filed a lawsuit against the Mayor of Freeport for trying to restrict the planting of palm trees. Do all locals hate the cabbage palm or just the "important" ones?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think it is wonderful to hear that a government official is advocating native and low maintenance requirements for landscaping.

LA033

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2006
I recently had to go to P'cola. Coming back via I-10 then 331 S., I realized that there is no indication, from the 331 exit all the way down to Hwy 98, that you would run in to the most beautiful beaches in the world. It feels like you took the wrong exit and should be looking for a good place to turn around. I wish the entire county could see the benefit in promoting the county as a whole and not just the beaches. From what I've read on this forum, South Walton contributes a lot of tax dollars for the entire county. I believe that if the 331 corridor was more appealing and better planned, promoted and had more to offer the entire county would benefit.