• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I would like to experience fine dining as SJ describes it at least once. But, I am more of a jeans and polo shirt kind of guy or shorts and polo. This does not mean that you can't get a great meal but to really dress up and impress the wife once like that would be worth it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It is funn to get all dolled up for a meal once in a while and be surrounded by nicely dressed people! :D

Looking nice is key for fine dining IMO. Polo shirt and slacks is okay - baseball caps, visors, flip flops, t shirts - hells no!

Last edited:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
I love fine dining but actual prefer a good balance. I'm not always thrilled to have the waiter put the napkin on my lap. I think of Highlands in Birmingham because you get the fine dining service and food but the atmosphere in the one dining room is more relaxed. We are treated like royalty and the meals can last forever, one amazing bit after another with some incredible wine selections.
Man, I want to go NOW!!!!!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think "fine dining" is that which is truly a cut above in food, service, quality, and atmosphere - not necessarily based on a strict "tie required" dress code, $$ prices, or decor, but something that makes you feel special and like it is an event.

Agree that service and the overall atmosphere is a HUGE part of this.

IMO fine dining does NOT include young children, sloppy attire, funky/beachy decor, plastic chairs, cell phones, loud drunks, servers in shorts or t-shirts, or TELEVISIONS!

I have been to some amazing restaurants and true fine dining knocks your socks off and outright spoils you for other restaurants.

Even though Sowal restaurants are a cut above most, I think there is a level of casualness in most of them that keeps them out of the "fine dining" category.

I agree scooty. if there is a TV, it is not fine dining.

To me, it seems that fine dining has a much broader definition than in the past. But the basic criteria still applies: menu, service and atmosphere. I absolutely consider Paradis, Onano, Fish Out of Water, Flemings, 30A Chops, Ruth Chris and Cafe Tango to be fine dining on the coast (Criolla's was on that list for ages). I haven't been to Commander's Palace but I would imagine it offers fine dining as well .. plus one or two in Sandestin I'm not familiar with. These fine dining restaurants are considered very special places and often visited on special occasions. they offer an exceptional meal lasting the evening. They may not qualify as the finest of fine dining in a traditional sense, but these restaurants offer fine dining nevertheless - you will find all of the classics of fine dining such as white linen table cloth, complete with white linen napkins, china, quality flat wear & glass wear, exceptional wine & liquor menu, professional servers, very attentive customer service, outstanding chef designed and prepared dishes and desserts, and wonderful atmosphere. in my opinion, we do offer fine dining in the classical sense and in the more broad sense.

However, we are lucky enough to have many casual dining places offering unique and excellent dining experiences in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. Ahhhhhhhhh - then you know you are having a fine time at the beach. Please remove your tie.

Last edited:

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
Fine dining does not serve children; the very young or otherwise, neither chilled, poached, fried, boiled, broiled or grilled. Maybe sauteed with a nice key anti and garlic fava beans.
IMHO.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
any restaurant without a fried food basket. This is a local thing.

oh but some of my favorite bistro French dining involves a very tender and delicious filet of beef or veal with a wonderful au jus and a side of perfectly fried real pommes frites. maybe not fine dining but these are some of the finest dining experiences I've ever had.

oh no - now that I have thought it and typed it I have to have it today.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
For the kids, hot dogs are served on a covered silver platter. I'll never forget that one. That was the only time I had to salt a hot dog. It probably had been in the freezer for a couple of years.