• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Many of these theaters appeared to have been built in the roaring '20s, that most tacky and splendiferous and spectacular spending era. So I think what we see as stunning now was way over the top and ego-driven back then.

On a smaller scale, it kinda reminds me of the stainless steel and granite countertops of the housing boom. Soon to be 'tacky,' probably, but maybe eventually they will be 'historic!'

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
The Fox Theater in St. Louis is one of those grand old theaters, and looks surprisingly similar to the one in Atlanta, from the pictures on your link...even the sign! i wonder if they were built by the same people...

I just looked it up...William Fox had a BUNCH of them! The ones in Atlanta, St. Louis, and San Francisco opened the same year. (1929) I can't find it in black and white, but I'm led to believe that it's the same Fox family as 20th Century Fox...they were opened as movie palaces.

Here are the others, from our friend Wikipedia:
List of Fox Theatres

See the following articles for information about specific theatres.

meigsart

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2006
I believe I saw "Hair" at the Palace in Columbus in 1973ish. It was such the scandal at the time.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis

Thanks JohnR, I did not realize that there were others. This is has been a very interesting thread.

I would love to visit some of the other theaters.

When you look at old theaters and churches, why do you think we have fallen away from the splendor? Money? Laziness? Are we just tacky now?

Good question NoHall, I don't know it's everything has changed and not for the better. People used to be quiet in movie theaters, now we have to have several messages before the movie begins to remind everyone to behave.

And don't even get be started on how people behave on airplanes. Am I dating myself when I say, I remember getting dressed up to fly.

I do know that one bank here in Memphis chose the grandeur when they build it. My niece is having her wedding reception there in a week. It is a beautiful building.

Last edited:

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Louisville Palace - look at the virtual tours on the website. It is just as fun to poke around the place as it is to see a show!

http://www.louisvillepalace.com/
We had to wander all over the place at the Fox last night, too...

I noticed that the Louisville Palace was one of Eberson's creations, too. Beautiful...

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Wow, these theatres are beautiful. TFT, I am going to have to make a road trip to Tampa- ladies night out.:DThat theatre is pretty cool and definitely over the top.

One of my favorite theatres is The New Amsterdam Theatre in New York. I've been to see Beauty and the Beast several times just to see this theatre. It is quite ornate and this picture doesn't do justice to the detail. The Beast is ok too. :blush: I read that it was renovated by Disney.

The ceiling is more beautiful live.
The New Amsterdam is among Broadway's oldest surviving legitimate theaters. Commissioned in 1902 by theater moguls Marc Klaw and Abraham Erlanger and designed by architects Henry B. Herts and Hugh Tallant, this landmark space boasts a beaux-arts entrance and a magnificent art nouveau interior of painted plaster, carved stone, fine wood, murals and tiles.

theatre_newAmsterdam.jpg

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Wow, these theatres are beautiful. TFT, I am going to have to make a road trip to Tampa- ladies night out.:DThat theatre is pretty cool and definitely over the top.

One of my favorite theatres is The New Amsterdam Theatre in New York. I've been to see Beauty and the Beast several times just to see this theatre. It is quite ornate and this picture doesn't do justice to the detail. The Beast is ok too. :blush: I read that it was renovated by Disney.

The ceiling is more beautiful live.

theatre_newAmsterdam.jpg

I would love to see some Disney there!

Beautiful!!! :clap::clap::clap:

In my next life, I want to be an architect.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I would love to see some Disney there!

Beautiful!!! :clap::clap::clap:

In my next life, I want to be an architect.

This is one of those theatres where sitting further back and higher up is not a bad thing. if you are blind, like me, you can see the ceiling better and take in the whole place from up there. Plus, the salt and pepper shaker actors won't be insulted when they see you go into a hysterical fit of laughter. :lol: Sorry, DKA.