• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
You are right Lake - we have so many reasons to love SoWal. Every time I leave town, it is always a pleasure to come back home. We have a very special community.

There are times when I think South Walton would be better off if would incorporate and oversee its own growth. County government is simpler and cheaper but... I would like to see excellent planning for infrastructure and job creation/business growth.

Coastal dune lakes, state forest preserve, state parks, gators/bears/sharks/sea turtles/wild hogs, some of the worlds most beautiful beaches and the finest people ever who love and appreciate living here.

Oh and at least one Skunkape frequently sited in sowal who migrated here from Nola several years ago.
I agree, Teresa.

We must protect the dunes. DEP approved a home construction 50 feet south of the CCCL in Seagrove. We objected, but didn't win this one. Those of us who love the area much be proactive by attending Planning Commission and BCC meetings.

Also traffic is such a problem in the high season. But that's only about 25% of the year. So I think we just deal with it and plan our errands around it or ride bikes. Maybe BP money can pay for trolleys 25% of the year, but I don't see anyone making that type of investment when they're not needed 75% of the year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I won't be offended.

As you know, we are building a new home (no rentals) and plan to become residents, so we have taken everything into consideration. We love South Walton.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Robert Davis spends most of his time now in California. Of course he still has his residence in Seaside but he is usually not there.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Can't beat SoWal August through the end of May with the exception of a few crazy weeks in April. And then we get the benefit of all the coffee shops, restaurants, etc. that can survive because of the busy summer and spring break seasons. And we've learned that we can avoid traffic and crowds for the most part if we do what we love best anyway - porch, pool, beach, repeat (with a few trips to Publix and a few meals out in between). We, too, plan to be in SoWal more and more in the next 3-5 years.

We live in a college town that has 30,000 students coming back to college in a week or so and they'll stay until the end of April. Then have we have a glorious 4 months of peace and quiet and little traffic and we get to peacefully enjoy all the benefits of living in a college town. We couldn't have the jobs or lives we have here without the students, so I'm used to appreciating them coming into town and then leaving town. We just get used to the cycles and rhythms. The same seems to be true, at least for many people, with the tourists and South Walton - learning to live with the cycles and rhythms of tourists in a beach community.

As for the development decisions, some of it is a bit scarey but I really can't complain much unless I get active in the community/government meetings (and I live to far away for that right now).