• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Just when you think you have heard everything, something like this comes along. The BCC sues their auditor for doing a bad job which cost the county over 1 million dollars and the settlement is the BCC extends their contract with "savings" of $70,000. What kind of BS is that? I try hard to give the benefit of the doubt and discount the conspiracy theories but stuff like this makes you wonder.

Walton County, accounting firm settle dispute; ‘neither side walked away happy’

Walton County went to legal mediation with the accounting firm of Carr Riggs and Ingram looking to get $1 million out of the company.

What it got was two more years of Carr Riggs and Ingram, at a reduced rate.

“We are pleased that Walton County agreed to extend our audit contract for two additional years,” said CRI founding partner Steve Riggs.

Walton County Attorney Mark Davis had threatened legal action against the accounting firm late last year if CRI didn’t reimburse the county $1,075,635.75 in lost recreational plat fees and tax payer dollars erroneously sent to the city of DeFuniak Springs.

In a letter sent in November, Davis claimed CRI had failed in past audits to discover two occasions on which “the Planning Department failed to assess and collect recreational plat fees.”

The Planning Department errors led to the county collecting $614.25 when it should have received $614,250 and $20,560.25 when it was owed $205,560.25.

The county also sought reimbursement for five years worth of funds the county had been mistakenly sending to the city of DeFuniak Springs.

Mediation had been arranged to stave off the threatened lawsuit and in negotiations CRI agreed to take $35,000 off of its annual $215,000 fee for accounting services for fiscal year 2014-15.

The company also agreed to charge $35,000 less for services rendered in fiscal year 2015-16 and 2016-17 in return for a contract extension through those two years.

County Commissioner Bill Imfeld, who attended the mediation, said “neither side walked away happy.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Who wrote the original contract with Carr, Briggs, and Ingram?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Just when you think you have heard everything, something like this comes along. The BCC sues their auditor for doing a bad job which cost the county over 1 million dollars and the settlement is the BCC extends their contract with "savings" of $70,000. What kind of BS is that? I try hard to give the benefit of the doubt and discount the conspiracy theories but stuff like this makes you wonder.

Glad to

Walton County, accounting firm settle dispute; ‘neither side walked away happy’[/QUOTE/]

Glad to see you considering the conspiracy options...

This was and is nothing more than a cover up and a way to continue to allow corruption here. It's become a culture and way of life.

When you consider the relationship between the Brannon's and the higher up of Carr Riggs (he's in Alabama), this really is no surprise.

Hopefully the State Auditors will uncover some things here soon. Does anybody know if the County received its "Hold" notice(s), for Emails and such not to be destroyed?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

I can't believe anyone is actually surprised by this.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I can understand the case being weak and I can understand too much time has past but I cannot understand how someone's services are so bad you feel compelled to sue them and then you give them 2 more years to work for you. While it doesn't surprise me, it sure doesn't make me very confident in how things are being run.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014

Danny this sounds like sour grapes and a personal attack to me

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
Bob you are right I should not have got on Danny, he is a good fellow. I just got frustrated by everyone taking up for the two folks that I see eating lunch or out shopping on school time several times a week. I thought I was bring something to light and I guess I went about it the wrong way. Danny I would like to apologize and ask your forgiveness.You are one of the good guys. It just burns me up to see people mooch off the system and get things because of family connections. I had to work hard and tighten m belt to make it in the private sector and I sometimes get on a soapbox. I need to remember if it was not for the grace of God I might not have made it. I have made a decision to get to know our school board members and from now on I will forward this information to them.