• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I have a friend that is renting a house for a month here at the beach. When he arrived with 1 of his children sat night he did not think it was clean and after his son walked around barefooted and his feet were black:eek: he went and bought a swifter to mop the floor.

The next day his wife, 3 other kids, his sister and her child came to the house. After looking around there were dirty dishes in the dishwasher, dustbunnies in the corners, the slip covers on the couch were full of stuff,(ewww) and then to top it all off there was a roach in the bed and small little roaches everywhere. He said that his son was having funn smushing them....:roll:

He does not want to make the owner mad but the house was not clean. Now he is questioning if the sheets were washed among other things. He wants to stay (he rented for the whole month of July) and paid for the whole thing in advance.

I told him to politely call and ask if she can get a cleaning person over there to clean since it obviously was not done...what do you guys think?????

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
InletBchDweller said:
I have a friend that is renting a house for a month here at the beach. When he arrived with 1 of his children sat night he did not think it was clean and after his son walked around barefooted and his feet were black:eek: he went and bought a swifter to mop the floor.

The next day his wife, 3 other kids, his sister and her child came to the house. After looking around there were dirty dishes in the dishwasher, dustbunnies in the corners, the slip covers on the couch were full of stuff,(ewww) and then to top it all off there was a roach in the bed and small little roaches everywhere. He said that his son was having funn smushing them....:roll:

He does not want to make the owner mad but the house was not clean. Now he is questioning if the sheets were washed among other things. He wants to stay (he rented for the whole month of July) and paid for the whole thing in advance.

I told him to politely call and ask if she can get a cleaning person over there to clean since it obviously was not done...what do you guys think?????

He needs to call the owner and request that the place be cleaned or make a deal on a discount...OR...he "not make the owner mad" and clean it himself. It's possible that the owner is paying big bucks for a service he's not getting and his business is about to suffer as a result--If I was the owner, I'd certainly like to know--and if I was in town, I'd show up with a mop, a bucket, a lot of apologies, and a rebate check.

If the owner doesn't care and says "tough, I've got your money," I'd trash-talk his house on the internet from here to Hong Kong (and include his e-mail with a courtesy copy). :D

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
SHELLY said:
He needs to call the owner and request that the place be cleaned or make a deal on a discount...OR...he "not make the owner mad" and clean it himself. It's possible that the owner is paying big bucks for a service he's not getting and his business is about to suffer as a result--I've I was the owner, I'd certainly like to know--and if I was in town, I'd show up with a mop, a bucket, a lot of apologies, and a rebate check.

:clap_1:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Yes I believe that there was a $150 cleaning fee he has to pay which I thought was strange due to the fact that he rented the place for a whole month...

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
The dustbunnies I could possibly overlook, but cockroaches, NO WAY! I'd suggest your friend write down every instance of uncleanliness and let the owner know about it, either by phone or e-mail. And I'd do it very promptly.

The reason I'd be specific is that a general complaint of "it's filthy" is so vague. After all, standards of cleanliness vary from person to person. However, an itemized list (dirty dishes in sink, cockroaches found in XX rooms, dustbunnies under XX furniture, stained slipcovers on sofa, etc.) is concrete evidence that's not easily disputed (take photos if you must).

goin' coastal

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
What Shelly said!!!

If agency managed I would call them too. I leave a message in my guest book if upon arrival the house is not clean call the agency immediately. I pay the cleaning fee , but have no way of knowing the condition of it. I am totally embarassed if my place is not clean. :blush:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Thanks everyone, my friend has called the owner and left a message for them to call him...will keep you updated...