• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This stuff is all over Miami. It is indigenous to the Florida Keys, not to NW Florida. I'd like to know more about the extraction process. I'm sure it will look lovely but like everything else we extract from the natural world I wonder if it is a benign process? Of course you could say the same thing about wood or concrete. Just saying, calling it "indigenous" doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't come at a cost. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Coquina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It makes up almost half of the state.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
... Of course you could say the same thing about wood or concrete. Just saying, calling it "indigenous" doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't come at a cost. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

:dunno: I cannot think of anything that doesn't come at a cost. As you state, wood comes at a cost of clear cutting, concrete plants are terrible. Maybe they should build it out of air. :funn:

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
:dunno: I cannot think of anything that doesn't come at a cost. As you state, wood comes at a cost of clear cutting, concrete plants are terrible. Maybe they should build it out of air. :funn:

That's what I was thinking. Stone will be pretty but it's hard to beat wood for a stage, especially in a place like Seaside. I understand the affinity for the Italian piazza, and I look forward to hanging out on the new steps, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact we are in Florida, southern USA. Sundog book building is warm, familiar, sturdy, traditional. But it too will be removed and a massive stone building erected in its place and all like it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Did I miss that they are putting up a big stone building? I thought it was just some pavers in one area? :dunno:

Of course we could actually let them do the project and THEN biatch once we actually know what we are dealing with. :roll:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Some may remember that the renderings of the entire master plan for Central Square and south of 30A were up on the walls in the lobby of the Holl building for a time. Although interesting, the proposed changes seemed quite grand and a bit out of place when compared to the rest of Seaside. It included a proposed shift of a portion of 30A along the main drag, and of course, an entire new layout of Cinderella Circle and everything south of the road.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
16d1115472648-big-changes-seaside-seaside.jpg

http://www.sowal.com/bb/real-estate-discussion/458-big-changes-seaside.html

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
all I know is that whatever Seaside does, its always done very well. whether you like the design or not. personally, I have always enjoyed watching the slow progression, additions, changes over the years. it happens so slowly that it is never really shocking. and its always very pleasing to my eye. Quite a unique little town with very long term vision and even after all these years, remains a work in progress.

I LOVE the Sienna/Italian influence on Seaside - it is just a touch mixed in with all the other elements that make up Seaside. no matter what, seaside has its own unique style. always has.

Last edited: