• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
It looks like what we need is a chamption/organization in the 30A community that can bring together a vision and give direction of what the 30A communty should be/could be. Contrary to popular beliefs, the decline of independent businesses is not inevitable or the result of free market forces. In the case of 30A, public policy or the lack of public policy has played a major role, and developers are opting for short term profits. In short, overpriced retail space does not build healhy communities.
Imagine if we are adopted land use rules that deter chain stores and actively encourage local ownership. Imagine if developments like Rosemary, Seaside, Watercolor, Alys Beach, Redfish, and so on actually collaborated and shaped the vision for 30A. Imagine if looking at 30A ten years form now as a community with our own local character and identity; something that sets us apart from all of the other ordinary resort communites. Imagine 30A enriched by local business owners that are committed to the civic and cultural life and the well-being of the community.

It would be great!!! I thought that was the goal of the 30A business association? Are they still around?
Imagine not beating your head against the wall when you try to make positive changes.:bang: It would be awesome if every business became active in a positive direction. In Tallahassee the other day, I noticed this big Locally owned and Locally operated marketing campaign with alot of the local business groups. I will look into what that was about next time over.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
What's up with all the Chain Stores on 30A?

Starbucks is dominating 30A! Do we need more? We now have a Subway; soon a Tropical Smoothie. Who knows what others have already committed!

Have the property developers lost their creativity? Do our local newspapers really need to glorify these national fanchises over the independent local establishments that have been in our community for a long time?

Maybe it is time that a a message is voiced. Chime-in if you have any thoughts!

DonQ: I think its called growing into a real town. we're big enough now to attract certain chains. I can remember when you couldn't find a latte' around here, and certainly not mexican or chinese or thai food. Its nice to have some choices these days. Publix is a chain and I thank God for all of them in or near sowal!

I've heard about the subway but never even laid eyes on it. but I have to admit, I like that I can go get a subway tuna on wheat with cheese, lettuce and tomato... love 'em! I'm just never down that way during lunch time.. I need to make an effort though. Surely this "chain" is owned by someone locally, or is it?

But, I get your point and would love to see an effort by our community to maintain its character and keep as many locally owned businesses around as we can. Can you imagine Sundog Books closing so that Barnes & Noble can move into Seaside? We would just die!!! This is only one example of many local businesses we need to support (though we do spend quite a bit more for a book). "Progress" happens though...

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Supermom... Yes, yes, yes... That little shed would be a PERFECT stand and location. Low overhead, after the initial set up. Would have to find out what permits, changes to the shed, etc., you would need to have. If you can get the permits/whatever, I don't think there's a better location anywhere. I think it could become a classic -- and it should be artsy...

Tootsie: I like the name "Dogmandu" though I never saw the place. I REALLY like your avatar. What a cutie.

Last edited:

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Inside every Starbucks..................
There's another Starbucks!

Last edited:

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I haven't seen Dogmandu lately -- He wasn't anywhere to be seen on our last trip or two. I hope he's still around.

I, too, think the cart idea is a great one! I keep trying to get someone to open a margarita cart! Personally I think that's what the area really needs. :D But I guess feeding the family affordable isn't a bad idea either.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I haven't seen Dogmandu lately -- He wasn't anywhere to be seen on our last trip or two. I hope he's still around.

I, too, think the cart idea is a great one! I keep trying to get someone to open a margarita cart! Personally I think that's what the area really needs. :D But I guess feeding the family affordable isn't a bad idea either.

now you're onto something... :lolabove: like your thinking tis!

donquijote

Beach Comber
Dec 9, 2006
Tootsie: I could not agree with you more about Publix since they provide a necessarry service to the community and furthermore it is a Florida based company that supports our states needs. There is however countless examples of communites like ours that stood by and watched as national chains came in and displaced local businesses. Furthermore when a dollar is spent at a national chain it provides limited support in the community since many of the services (accountants, payrolls, banking, etc) that support these national chains are near their headquarters (many miles from 30A). In addition, these chains do not purchase products from their local communites since and in most cases are not community contributors. I for one would rather purchase goods from my neighbors, the same people that sit on our school boards, the same people that help build and support our community. Like you said, it woudl be very sad to loose Sundog Books to Borders. Likewise it would be sad to loose Brunos Pizza to Dominoes; or Angelinas to Carrabbas. This leaves us with the challenge of how we want to shape our community and what do we want to be?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If anyone finds themself in Ft. Walton Beach, and wants to do a little research into the food cart/food shed biz, the there's a Texaco on Hollywood just east of Eglin that has a freestanding Turkish Grill food shack in the parking lot. I keep meaning to try it one of these days.

amavida

Beach Lover
Nov 5, 2006
Seaside & Rosemary Beach
BobbyJ

Expect that this may have been a campaign driven by Independent and Community Alliance of Tallahassee (IBCA). They are members of the American Independent Business Alliance. IBA's main focus is to help communites to maintain their unique community character, ensuring continued opportunities for entrepreneurs, building local economic strength, and preventing the displacement of locally-owned businesses by chains. Looks like cities like Tallahassee, Boulder, Austin, and many small towns in the US are trying to address the same issue we are discussing.