• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
We have been regulars every year practically since 2000. We usually call and reserve our time in February for our visit which we usually make around Labor Day but we are shooting for earlier this year to try to beat the start of hurricane season. Hopefully that won't be bad for the area this year. We reserve our place early because we have to make arrangements at our favorite vet for boarding well in advance to be assured we get a run for our dog.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Hooray! We're finally getting inquiries!!! I am so encouraged. In the last five days I've seen some good activity in my e-mail box. I've re-read this post and picked up tips which are so helpful!

Now if I can only get people not to all want the same week. Isn't that funny how that works? So far we have only one week in May booked, and only this morning, someone asked about that very week and I had to turn them down. I did, however, tell them if they were flexible with dates, they could have the week before or after. See? I'm learning from Paula and Wastin Away how to practice good business! :clap_1:

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
Mermaid said:
Hooray! We're finally getting inquiries!!! I am so encouraged. In the last five days I've seen some good activity in my e-mail box. I've re-read this post and picked up tips which are so helpful!

Now if I can only get people not to all want the same week. Isn't that funny how that works? So far we have only one week in May booked, and only this morning, someone asked about that very week and I had to turn them down. I did, however, tell them if they were flexible with dates, they could have the week before or after. See? I'm learning from Paula and Wastin Away how to practice good business! :clap_1:
Good for you Mermaid - This is my first full year renting and I got on line late last year - mid June - so all of my rentals were last minute, however, I did surprisingly well to have started so late. Inquiries have been really slow for me, but like you said, the funny thing is, everyone wants the same weeks. If you don't mind my asking, who do you have your rental listed with? Hopefully things will pick up for me.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
:blush:
imasunbum said:
Good for you Mermaid - This is my first full year renting and I got on line late last year - mid June - so all of my rentals were last minute, however, I did surprisingly well to have started so late. Inquiries have been really slow for me, but like you said, the funny thing is, everyone wants the same weeks. If you don't mind my asking, who do you have your rental listed with? Hopefully things will pick up for me.

It's just within the last five days or so that the requests have started coming in--I guess because March is right around the corner and people are seeing light at the end of the winter tunnel? So far, I have 2 long weekends in April, a week in May, and half a week in October. That's it. I was so worried in January and most of February, however, that even this much seems like manna from heaven to me! I tell you, I have adjusted my sights big time. At first I thought for sure that the income from rentals would nearly cover the mortgage....now I'm looking at covering the HOA fees and electricity!!! Talk about a reality check for a newbie. :blush: I am grateful for crumbs at this point. :funn:

Thus far, we are listed only on Kurt's websites (good job, Kurt!). Over the weekend we sent in registration for that new website, SeagroveByOwner. I had some correspondance with whosyourdaddy and he was so easy to deal with and very informative. So we're going to go with him to increase our visibility. When we get a check from our first April rental, we'll register with either VRBO or greatrentals (can you tell we're running hand-to-mouth these days?? :roll: ).

I am honestly surprised at how time-consuming dealing with renters is. I had no idea how many questions people would ask!! One lady e-mailed me six times before reserving, and each e-mail had a new question. It's pretty interesting, actually. I'm going through a real learning curve here.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
Mermaid said:
:blush:

It's just within the last five days or so that the requests have started coming in--I guess because March is right around the corner and people are seeing light at the end of the winter tunnel? So far, I have 2 long weekends in April, a week in May, and half a week in October. That's it. I was so worried in January and most of February, however, that even this much seems like manna from heaven to me! I tell you, I have adjusted my sights big time. At first I thought for sure that the income from rentals would nearly cover the mortgage....now I'm looking at covering the HOA fees and electricity!!! Talk about a reality check for a newbie. :blush: I am grateful for crumbs at this point. :funn:

Thus far, we are listed only on Kurt's websites (good job, Kurt!). Over the weekend we sent in registration for that new website, SeagroveByOwner. I had some correspondance with whosyourdaddy and he was so easy to deal with and very informative. So we're going to go with him to increase our visibility. When we get a check from our first April rental, we'll register with either VRBO or greatrentals (can you tell we're running hand-to-mouth these days?? :roll: ).

I am honestly surprised at how time-consuming dealing with renters is. I had no idea how many questions people would ask!! One lady e-mailed me six times before reserving, and each e-mail had a new question. It's pretty interesting, actually. I'm going through a real learning curve here.

I remember when I first started doing the rentals on my own, it was scary but over time it becomes easier. You start to figure which inquires you should concentrate on and which ones have sent several inquiries out at once and are just shopping. We have only one home and it's amazing the time it takes once you speak to a potential guest, follow up with an email, then you begin the question and answer process, they decide to book your home, you send them a rental agreement, then the questions and answers start again because they now have their location, they want specifics. I have a file set up on my computer that I keep a copy of each correspondence I have with each quest and I can tell you I average around 6-10 before they even step foot into our home. It can def. be a full time job but a very rewarding one.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Wastin Away said:
I remember when I first started doing the rentals on my own, it was scary but over time it becomes easier. You start to figure which inquires you should concentrate on and which ones have sent several inquiries out at once and are just shopping. We have only one home and it's amazing the time it takes once you speak to a potential guest, follow up with an email, then you begin the question and answer process, they decide to book your home, you send them a rental agreement, then the questions and answers start again because they now have their location, they want specifics. I have a file set up on my computer that I keep a copy of each correspondence I have with each quest and I can tell you I average around 6-10 before they even step foot into our home. It can def. be a full time job but a very rewarding one.

I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'm glad you mentioned about keeping a file going. That's definitely a good idea, if only to send announcements for people to keep your rental in mind as they plan upcoming seasons. I'm trying to be helpful and informative to everyone--you never know when it will pay off for future bookings.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:clap_1: Congrats Mermaid!!! Just make sure you leave some time in October open!

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Sueshore said:
:clap_1: Congrats Mermaid!!! Just make sure you leave some time in October open!
I thought that SJ says that October is the worst month down there :dunno:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Sueshore said:

Have no fear--Merman and I will defintely save a week *or maybe more* in October. Gotta hang with the Kitty, you know. ;-)

I have this is going to be somewhat of an on-going war between wanting to rent and wanting the time all for ourselves!!! The beach is a jealous mistress.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
STL Don said:
I thought that SJ says that October is the worst month down there :dunno:

Yes, SJ DID say that, in hopes that everyone would believe him and stay away in October! He's a real sly character sometimes. You gotta watch him like a hawk. ;-)