• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
aquaticbiology said:
just FYI, you should print out your info (name, address, etc) and put it down the seat tube in a plastic bag (remove the seat where you adjust the height, drop it in the downtube, then put the seat back on), that way if there's a question about ownership (like the guy who stole it says it's his) its settled by pulling out the seat and then shaking out the plastic bag, then relishing the look on his ugly caught theiving face while the officer reads you name and address from INSIDE the bicycle - positively priceless!

SWEET! :D

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
Most of my clients use a rental co. like yellowfin or bigdaddy's if they are on some rental themselves,,,,,,ie...vrbo or such. if you are a homeowner who does not rent then I recommend a car cover, one that let's the bike breath but keeps the salt out! with good overall care and washing them down with water will keep them in good shape for a time. Even the cheap one's from Sam's 80 bucks or the wally world ones at 125 or so. biggest problem in my experience is gear's. if you get a geared bike....cables tend to suffer the most......so stick to your basic one spead, foot stopping, no foam handled bike.......(foam goes bad quick and you'll have black hands every time you ride)..........if you can store them inside.....even better!.........
I pull my clients out and make sure they are in good working order, before they arrive in SOWAl!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Swantree: Great information for the novice bike-buyer! Thank you. Does Sams always have bike in stock? I drive right by there on my way from the airport to the cottage and could pick up a bike on the way. $80 is a great price. Thanks.

By the way, what's your business "getting it done so you don't have to"?

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
We like Big Daddy's in Blue Mountain Beach. We rent there and also purchased our beach bikes there at good prices, end-of-the-year sales. They will deliver and pick up and rental prices are reasonable. You could also buy a bike when they have a sale and sell it to Frank at the end of the year. We like bikes that are in good working order, without rust on the chains. A good idea to keep a can of WD-40 handy, under any circumstances. Paula, see my PM for some more info on storage ideas and other thoughts about bikes. Good luck finding a solution. South Walton is a wonderful place to bicycle, those off-road paths are wonderful.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
I have been told never to use WD40 on a bike, that although it displaces water and provides some lubricant, it attracts dirt, hence salt and sand in a coastal environment. It is better to use a wax based lubricant such as White Lightning. I would be interested to know if anyone has found anything better to help maintain bikes in SoWal.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
A friend once worked at the company that makes WD-40. It is a good solvent but not so good for long-term lubrication. Its main ingredient is kerosene!

The wax-based lubricants are good, but you must start with a chain that has no oil on it (rare find).

Tri-Flow has always worked well for me.

Buy a bike with aluminum-alloy components instead of steel; they cost more but are lighter and less prone to rust and corrosion.

They all will eventually be reclaimed by Mother Nature, just as we all will be.