• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
30A Skunkape said:
I'm gonna miss those grouper po-boys and warm breezes on the deck. I think you can find better gumbo though Miss Kitty!
I hear many people bragging on D&K's Gumbo, but I like my own much better.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:

It is good to me....probably has something to do with eating outside and that view!

I vaguely remember having this conversation about your gumbo before. Didn't get any in Oct...how about April?

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Smiling JOe said:
I made Jambalaya for all ...you going to make your gumbo for us next time??

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Allifunn said:
I made Jambalaya for all ...you going to make your gumbo for us next time??
...and I enjoyed the Jambalaya. I will gladly make Gumbo for you if given enough time. I don't like to serve it until it is at least 24 hours old and seasoned.

I truly enjoy and appreciate all the work which goes into making delicious food which is well presented. It is an art. I have dined in some of the best restaurants in the southeast and have found great delight in the meals. That said, give me a good loaf of hearty bread, EV Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, decent wine, and good company, and I will put it up against eating at the best restaurant in the world with bad company. The real pleasure is in the company or one's state of mind. ;-)

As I like to say, you can call me any name you like, just not "Late For Dinner!"

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Smiling JOe said:
...and I enjoyed the Jambalaya. I will gladly make Gumbo for you if given enough time. I don't like to serve it until it is at least 24 hours old and seasoned.

I truly enjoy and appreciate all the work which goes into making delicious food which is well presented. It is an art. I have dined in some of the best restaurants in the southeast and have found great delight in the meals. That said, give me a good loaf of hearty bread, EV Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, decent wine, and good company, and I will put it up against eating at the best restaurant in the world with bad company. The real pleasure is in the company or one's state of mind. ;-)

As I like to say, you can call me any name you like, just not "Late For Dinner!"
AMEN my friend!!!!:clap_1: :clap_1: just need a few grapes or pear slices thrown in

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
...Sorry for the tangent, but we also heard that D&K's will be closing for lunch and will become a fancy dinner place. Have any of you heard this?:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Oh say it isn't so...those grouper po boys with fruit on the side and a bag of specialty chips...D&K's was where we had our first grouper sandwich. From there, we went on a search for the best one. I have to say, it was a toss up between D&K's and the Seagrove Market Cafe (their sauce is so good)...and one we had in Panama City Beach (the Calypso Grill) served on a really tasty Gambino Bakery baquette...sure hope the rumour is a false one. As for Gumbo, that's my better half's domain and we didn't try any at D&K's, so can't comment.

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
Smiling JOe said:

I love their seafood dip! :clap_1:

Smiling JOe I truly enjoy and appreciate all the work which goes into making delicious food which is well presented. It is an art. I have dined in some of the best restaurants in the southeast and have found great delight in the meals. That said said:
I agree: good company, good bread, fruity EV olive oil (don't especially need the balsamic) and drinkable wine can do it for me to a T. A few wedges of Cantal cheese would not be amiss.

But every now and then, my state of mind benefits greatly by being served, and not having to do any dishes. ;-)

Smiling JOe said:
I agree. Our favorite bonding activity as a family is cooking together at the beach. Our daughter is a great cook, partially because she has such an intense sense of taste that she's really good with herbs and seasonings and can just throw ingredients together to make a five-star meal. At the beach her favorite thing to prepare is bruschetta with a tomato/basil/garlic/balsamic/EVOO topping, pasta with shrimp, and an arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette and Parmigiano-Romano. She always makes sure she has three colors in her menus (red, green, and white/tan/yellow) to stimulate the visual senses. And she does that thing that Paul Prudhomme does where she cooks ingredients at various degrees of doneness (from undercooked to quite caramelized) to give a complexity of flavor. She can whip up one of these meals without any effort.

Then we light the candles and enjoy being together.

Oh, yeah, and then a fat-free/sugar-free yogurt from Dawson's. :D

We had a nice dinner with our friend at Cafe Thirty-A.
Yummy, light crabcake, arugula salad with shaved peccorino, seared tuna, creme brulee.

Spent the night in Sandestin and hit the outlet mall yesterday. You have to understand, this was a big deal for me, having spent the last 4 months here in Port St Joe rotating the same old capris and t-shirts I brought from Denver.

Now it's back to our PSJ routine. But at least it is embellished with herbes de provence from France and new t-shirts from Eddie Bauer. ;-)