• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ReginaR

Beach Comber
Yesterday at 7am I was told by a sheriff on the beach that my dog's beach tag is improper because it hangs at the top of the leash and not his collar. Three years ago, after he lost THREE tags in one year the people at the clerk of court suggested I affix his tag to the top of the leash or my wrist and that has always been sufficient when I have been asked to show the tag especially since his fur is long making presence of the tag hard to see if on his collar. By the way I carry the paper copy in the tiny saddlebag of the leash as well. I have reviewed the county website and cannot find anything saying the tag MUST be anywhere specific and I think having the paper copy is beyond expected. Today I panicked twice on our walk thinking he had lost it again because I couldn't find it on his neck! Any ideas??

I don't attach Pepper's tag to her collar. It's too noisy. I keep it at the house. If a sheriff approached me, I'd just tell him/her that it's at the house which is one minute away from the beach, and Pepper's worthiness to be on the beach could be determined then.

Oops! It expired in August, right? Thanks for the reminder.

What you experienced is freaking unbelievable.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I've never heard of putting a tag anywhere but on the dog's collar. I find crimping it with pliers cuts down on both the noise and the loss.

And BR, I think if it is not on the dog it is a fine. Law enforcement doesn't have extra time to go to your house and everyone who doesn't have one claims "it's at the house or it fell off".

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I've never heard of putting a tag anywhere but on the dog's collar. I find crimping it with pliers cuts down on both the noise and the loss.

And BR, I think if it is not on the dog it is a fine. Law enforcement doesn't have extra time to go to your house and everyone who doesn't have one claims "it's at the house or it fell off".

Thank you. Why do people think the law is not written for them?

Thank you. Why do people think the law is not written for them?
Pepper is never off a leash when in an unfenced area. Plus when I see a Walton County truck coming, she and I head for the house. If I'm walking her any distance from the walkover, I carry the tag in my pocket. The tag doesn't match her pink collar with gators on it. That bothers the OCD in me. :rotfl:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
FTLOG, nice to see where my tax dollars are going. :roll: That a responsible citizen is harassed for improper placement of dog tag, especially if the dog is leashed. Even if a dog is loose and were to bite someone, if the tag were on the neck of a long haired dog, chances are the dog is not sticking around for you to fiddle with it's tags to see who he belongs to.

Perhaps, their time might be better spent working with animal control. Based on the amount of dogs I see coming into Alaqua, even pure breed, sweet dogs, better controls of roaming and uncared for animals looks like it needs much more attention.