• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

panama10

Beach Crab
Feb 21, 2009
Mississippi
Our family is planning our first official "beach vacation". A friend (who grew up in this area) suggested it, and after seeing photos, I'm sold.

Thing is, I'm not sure where to stay.

Our family has 3 kids, ages 7, 3, 3, plus 2 adults. We may also have my teenage niece with us. We want to stay in a family friendly area, away from the crowds of Destin, etc, where the kids can enjoy the beach without a huge crowd around them.

My friend suggested Grayton Beach, and by looking at pictures, it seems to be the type of atmosphere we are looking for but I'm sure there are other towns similar to it, so I'm open to suggestions.

Having never been in this area, I'm not sure where else to look. I'd like to rent a house/cottage type location, and would love to experience some of the "small town" feel.

Help me please!

Kayra
:wave:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
:welcome: You can't really go wrong anywhere along 30-A. Grayton is wonderful; so is Seagrove, Watercolor, Seaside, etc., etc. Can't think of anywhere you wouldn't want to go. It's really just a matter of your budget and your requirements!

We have a 3 BR home in Seacrest Beach, which is right between Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach on the east end of 30-A. It's about 10-12 miles from Grayton but the area has its own charms for sure. Seacrest has the 12,000 square foot lagoon pool that is really popular with kids and is a very family friendly neighborhood. We have great gulf views and I'd be happy to tell you more about our place. You can send me a private message if you are interested.

But in general, tell us more about what you are looking for (amenities, budget if you wish to, etc.) and the people here can help steer you in the right direction! This is the place to ask. :wave:

panama10

Beach Crab
Feb 21, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks for your suggestion.

Amenities:
Sleeps at least 3 adults (kids we can always put on fold away couch)
Fully equipped kitchen- a must
washer and dryer - a must
2 bedrooms minimum- a must
DVD player a must (for when we are not at the beach)
Deck-would be an added plus
BBQ- would be an added plus
Pool would nice but it's not a deal breaker.
A backyard would also be nice for the kids to play

Kid friendly a must! with 2 active toddlers, we don't want to stay in a expensively decorated palace.

Budget - $2000 for a week maximum (would like stay in the $1300 to $1500 range).

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
TFT pretty much covered, but based on your list I would suggest that you ask certain questions.

You have small kids so make sure to ask how far to the beach it is.
You listed a "fully equipped kitchen", make sure to ask if certain things are provided. Generally you are provided with dishes, silverware, pots and pans, basic small appliances, and glass ware. If you need something special like a pasta maker, ice cream churner, or meat grinder then you should definitely check.

P.S. Seacrest beach and The Village of South Walton have an interactive fountain that children cannot resist. Guaranteed that you can't drive by it without kids running around in it.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
You honestly might do better in the Seacrest/High Pointe area between Alys and Rosemary.

I don't know about the price ranges in High Pointe -- but they have very lovely condos and a beautiful pool, plus the development is gulf-front. :cool:

Seacrest might be better for your budget. It has the huge pool and all the homes are equipped as you say, most of them with grills etc. SWGB is right about the fountain -- and I have to mention the new playground going in at Alys Beach. It's not complete yet but what is there is FUN!! I'm not sure if it's "officially" open to all-comers or not but they sure don't seem to mind if you buy a coffee and sit and watch the kids play. :clap:

I have small kids too and I have always been happy to have a community pool, because even gated ones in the back yard tend to make me nervous.

The upper end of your budget is just under our rate for a summer week. We can maybe negotiate depending on the time period ... but there are all sorts of homes in Seacrest and rates are better than they were last year. It may be tough to find something in your "ideal" range but you should be able to make it work for your budget. Seacrest also has the tram service to the beach that is very convenient.

Good luck!