• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Born in Houston, lived in St. Louis (briefly) then Chicago and Lake Geneva area for 12 years. Since the late 80's thought Naples would be where Ms. Bayou and I would end up.

Then had a little bayouette in Chicago 5 yrs ago and began looking for the perfect place to raise a family. All over California we looked (loved Ojai and Santa Barbara), North Carolina (Wilmington area was our fave) back to our native Texas (Houston or Austin) and back to Florida, (still thought it would be Naples).

Thought we'd seen everything there was to see in Florida until we began talking to a friend at a wedding in Texas. He raved about Destin and the beautiful aqua waters. Came down the next week and stayed at Sandestin. It was love at first sight. Moved here four months later. Bought a home on
1 1/2 acres on Mack Bayou, and one in Sandestin.

We too were worried about the lack of a community center feel to the area. When I need a fix for that I drive to Panama City. After walking around downtown for about 10 minutes there I run back to the car and swiftly return home. Do that every four months or so.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Mermaid said:
This is too good a post to let sink! Any new takers?

What a great idea you had in resurrecting this thread Mermaid! :clap_1:

This has been interesting and fun! :lolabove:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
shakennotstirred said:
I somehow missed this thread the first time as well. (Maybe my message board addiction is not as bad as I thought). I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. The past 8 years I've been living in the house that I spent the first six months of my life in - I guess I've come full circle. Have visited Destin/30-a area for the past 13 years every April & a few times in the dreaded month of October.

I truly love you guys!

sandyfeet

Beach Comber
Aug 28, 2005
Weldon Spring, Missouri
I am from Weldon Spring, Missouri. (Originally a Southern Illinois girl.) My first visit to your area was approximately six years ago. White sand must be magnetic; I've been drawn back there just about every year since. (Twice this year!)

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
sandyfeet said:
I am from Weldon Spring, Missouri. (Originally a Southern Illinois girl.) My first visit to your area was approximately six years ago. White sand must be magnetic; I've been drawn back there just about every year since. (Twice this year!)

:welcome:
You live near one of my favorite areas.....the Augusta wineries! My very favorite is Montelle...we spend nearly every Sunday there in October! I love enjoying the beautiful view, sipping wine, nibbling on cheese & fruit, listening to the music (especially the guy who does Jimmy Buffett...can't think of his name at the moment!) :clap_1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
sandyfeet said:
I am very close to Augusta. It's been years since I've been there. I know, I should be ashamed living so close and all. I haven't been up in the Arch in a while either!

That seems to be the way it goes sandyfeet. I've lived in Dallas full time since 1976 and am proud to say I have never been to SOUTHFORK! Okay, once...it was for a charity event and it was dark and I didn't take the tour!!!!

Mermaid...you are one smart cookie for bringing this back! And kudos to GB as well for starting it in the first place!

Last edited:
I thought I posted to this thread or something like it before, but perhaps that was back in the early mists, before Kurt changed to the V-bulletin format.

I was an airline brat; my timeline has me bicoastal (NY>NorCal>NY) before third grade, then in Denver, Colorado for high school.

Regardless, I *always* missed the beach. Two years ago, spouse and I visited the area and fell in love with it, but no job materialized.

Now he has the job and October 15th is our target date to leave Denver and head for Port St Joe.
Won't be SoWal but it's a lot closer than the high desert of central Colorado.

What OnMackBayou says here:
Thought we'd seen everything there was to see in Florida until we began talking to a friend at a wedding in Texas...
...is, I think, true of many people, and when we say we are moving to Florida, they immediately think of the Florida they know, which is Orlando or the southeast coast.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I am from a small town south of Nashville, but often believe we will eventually move to SoWal area. Since we no longer have children at home, it will be easier to do.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I was born and raised in St. Louis. Went to school in Eugene, OR (Go Ducks). After college, I moved to Medira Beach Florida where I met my husband. Then we moved back to St. Louis. Started out going to Fort Walton area for vacation, but 1 year (about 6 years ago) on a rainy day we started driving and ended up on 30A - haven't been back to Ft. Walton since. Love Seagrove. I was a "registered lurker" for about a year before I started posting. Now it seems, it's hard to stop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.