• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemtnfriend

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2005
Tennessee
GraytonBound said:
Reply & let me know if you're a local or a wanna-be like me. Just curious to see where everyone calls home :?:
West Tennessee, get down to Blue Moutain area about once a month for 3 or 4 days. Would love to stay longer, but have Little Leaque and basketball playing grandchildren that we have to cheer on.

When we do get to spend more time, will be looking for volunteer work as I don't play golf or tennis.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Re: Where from

Anonymous said:
We're stuck in Texas until we get our daughter in college. Then we're heading for SoWal. Purchased last year and it is terrible just seeing pics all the time!!!!!!!!!

Grew up in IL. Spent time in Eastern KY; Gainesville, FL; Wilmington, DE; and Fort Collins, CO ---- family is in IL though so it's sorta home.

Love SOWAL

Above is my post before I came out of lurkdom.
I grew up in SE Illinois (Oblong), lived different towns around IL (went to EIU and Uof I), moved to Jackson, KY and later to Gainesville, FL; Wilmington, DE (beautiful area!); Fort Collins, CO (wanted to stay there); and now we're settled in Arlington, TX.

One thing we've found about moving a lot is that if you want to make it work and be happy, that's what happens! :D

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Camp Creek Kid said:
Not to break up these posts--I'm liking that everyone is straight and to the point. If y'all notice, this thread was started November 2004. SJ made his comments about "no community feel" almost a year ago. I'd venture to guess that he feels a little bit better about things now. In fact, a think that there was a thread recently about the fact that "the community" was starting to form. One problem is that most all locals here have been here for less than five years. It took me awhile to realize that I wasn't an "outsider" because everyone was new and everyone felt like and outsider.

I think the community feel of SoWal has increased as the real estate frenzy has dissapated.

Bob, we'd love to have you around here full-time.

Now back to hearing where everyone is from . . .

CCK - I noticed that too and thought the same as you. This message board also does wonderful things to help with that community feeling, even for those of us who are not there. YET! When I get there, I want to hook up with the Beach to Bay and Turtle Watch groups.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
sandyfeet said:
White sand must be magnetic; I've been drawn back there just about every year since. QUOTE]

I think it's the sand and the water! We used to vacation in the Sanibel area but two years ago my husbands side of the family rented a big house on the gulf in Seacrest and now there's no reason to go anywhere else! We prefer being a little closer to Grayton so we like to stay in Seagrove. I've lived in Ohio all my life but would love to live near the ocean or gulf someday. My parents live in The Villages north of Orlando. Great place for them but not close enough to the gulf for me. Go Bucks!

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay
Smiling JOe said:
... being close to the Bay and the Beach. Freeport has much growing to do in order to develop a sense of community, but it will be there. I feel only hints of community in South Walton. The beach communities are too scattered, and there is no central place. I also am growing tired of the seeing the same people with different faces. SoWal is becoming a place where I see no diversity. I want and need some "real" people who are year-rounders. This message board is about as real as people get around here sometimes.

I'm from Bath, England and have spent time in NY, DC area, Atlanta, Seagrove and now Freeport. I love it here but also miss the community spirit. Both sets of grandparents had neighborhood pubs and it was great growing up amongst the "regulars", I love going back to visit "where everybody knows your name."

SJ .. we plan on hosting a Christmas party and inviting all of our diverse Freeport neighbors, would love to have a fellow Guinness drinker along.

Cheers!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Lois said:
I'm from Bath, England and have spent time in NY, DC area, Atlanta, Seagrove and now Freeport. I love it here but also miss the community spirit. Both sets of grandparents had neighborhood pubs and it was great growing up amongst the "regulars", I love going back to visit "where everybody knows your name."

SJ .. we plan on hosting a Christmas party and inviting all of our diverse Freeport neighbors, would love to have a fellow Guinness drinker along.

Cheers!

Just let me know when and where, and what I should bring. :D

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
PICT1656.JPG
OT..but SJ, do you know what kind of butterfly that isin your avatar ....it's the same kind I photographed while I was there.

Beach Boy

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
I am originally from Miami, Florida, but currently call Suwanee, Georgia home (it's about one hour northeast of Atlanta). My father's family's roots go back a long way in Walton County and that's why it has been so nice to own a place at Seacrest Beach - kind of like a part of my heritage. We really enjoy the ocean, sunsets, bike riding and the people we've met. This message board is great to keep up with what's happening in the area.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay
Smiling JOe said:
Just let me know when and where, and what I should bring. :D

Sure will .. I know Christmas will be here before we know it, but I'm determined to get this party together so that we can finally meet those neighbors of ours.

We'll be in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.