• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
neither is Ted Bundy, but that is not good reason to write in a vote for him.;-)

He can't run!

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Sara Commander has lived in Walton County most (if not all) of her life. I think she still lives in DeFuniak Springs. She is her own person and is a good listener, which I consider two important qualifiers for any person in public office. Frankly, I like to have more than one female on an elected body, assuming all are qualified, of course. The reason for this is there is a marked tendency for "the boys" to isolate just the one woman and either ignore her or keep important information from her. I have seen this over and over, with the result being that the lone woman ends up appearing out of the groove or uninformed on issues. So she gets defeated after one term of office. If there are two women, the boys take them seriously, if only because they will need one or both to get their own agendas approved.

My sense is that our excellent Commissioner Cindy Meadows got beyond this early in the game. But it is almost always a problem with one woman, four men.

I agree that voters should look at the key issues, hear where the candidates stand on issues, and choose carefully. Party affiliation is not a consideration for me when I vote for local politicians. I am much more comfortable when local elected boards are non-partisan. Any move to introduce partisan politics to our local boards have been strongly rejected by residents. When land use, environmental, and budgetary issues become polarized along party lines, there is danger ahead.

Beemn

Beach Lover
Jan 1, 2006
so wal
Party politics are in the local elections....You had people change party to vote for cindy last time in the primary.....because only republicans (Read greedy earth killers) get elected ! As for only one woman, I have seen the good ol boys ignore her as if she wasn't there. As for a candidate living here all of life....I think that should be a detriment!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Beemn said:
As for a candidate living here all of life....I think that should be a detriment!

Could you elaborate on your last sentence?

As a lifelong Walton County resident (except for time spent away for college), I take a great deal of offense to that comment.

Ain't we'uns brainy enuff fer y'all?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ShallowsNole said:
Could you elaborate on your last sentence?

As a lifelong Walton County resident (except for time spent away for college), I take a great deal of offense to that comment.

Ain't we'uns brainy enuff fer y'all?
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I could care less if the winning politician lived here all their life or for only a small portion of it. What is important to me is that they respect the area's history, and can control growth in a way which the people don't outweigh the services the County is able to provide. Good people, as well as bad people come in all shapes and sizes. To say what Beemn said is to show one's prejudices. ShallowsNole, don't take offense to such idiotic statements.;-)

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Upon reflection, I guess partisan politics are involved in local issues. What was I thinking? I'm aware that people change political party affiliation in Walton County just so they can vote for individuals in the primaries. And it is assumed in Walton County that the Republican candidate will win office. This seems so odd to me, as I remember Walton County being a Democratic stronghold when I was growing up. It was a farm community and, as such, was predominantly Democratic. Those days are long gone in much of the heartland, as well. Well, as the kids say...it is what it is. I know good people who have strong Democratic leanings who had to become Republicans in order to win office. Their intentions are good and they are balanced representatives.

Years ago, I did a graduate thesis on boom town dynamics and recovery in the aftermath, beginning with the silver mining towns of the Old West and ending with some of the boom towns in the U.S. such as Atlanta, Orange County CA, and several resort communities. The places that remained viable were consistently those that did not abdicate their local powers to the economic engine that drove the boom cycle. Sure, there will always be politicians who will further the agenda of special interests. But there are some very committed and knowledgeable people who have lived in Walton County all their lives, who probably have a more rounded perspective about the County as a whole than a newcomer might, however well intentioned. And there are some very well educated people living in the County. Not a good idea to judge all of them on the basis of the missteps of a few.

Divisive tactics are good for neither the North or the South County. In fact, I know of no other County that has provided separate government offices and services superior to those of their own out of recognition of the fiscal contributions made by "the people who don't get to vote." In my town in CA, that would never happen. The business of government would pass you by like a jet aircraft does a knat.

I think the people in the North County deserve a lot of credit for recognizing the value of the beaches and those of us who have invested there. And at the end of the day, they have a history and knowledge of the area and its rhythms that cannot be acquired in a matter of only a few years, regardless of one's education level or good intentions. So let's give credit where credit is due. :rofl: + :welcome: = :clap_1:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Smiling JOe said:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I could care less if the winning politician lived here all their life or for only a small portion of it. What is important to me is that they respect the area's history, and can control growth in a way which the people don't outweigh the services the County is able to provide. Good people, as well as bad people come in all shapes and sizes. To say what Beemn said is to show one's prejudices. ShallowsNole, don't take offense to such idiotic statements.;-)

Thanks, SJ...I'm much less anal this morning. That's what posting after a couple of Red Stripes will do for you. :blush:

And Donna's statement is true as well - Walton County used to be a Democrat stronghold. Now that we are primarily Republican - and I am a Republican - what really bothers me is when local races are decided by a political party voting in block, with no knowledge of the people actually running for the office, what their REAL beliefs are (which may not be what you think they are), what their management style is, how much they know about the job which they seek, etc. Around here, you have to know the individuals, and their backgrounds, as any local Republican who has been here longer than 25 years has (a) been registered as a Democrat at some time in the past, or (b) did not care enough about their county to participate in local elections.

Off my soapbox...don't get me started on politics. This board is normally a refreshing escape from that for me! :cool:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
ShallowsNole said:
what really bothers me is when local races are decided by a political party voting in block, with no knowledge of the people actually running for the office, what their REAL beliefs are (which may not be what you think they are), what their management style is, how much they know about the job which they seek, etc.

Unfortunately the same is true of politics at all levels.