• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Just read the reports, sounds as though there is a political component to this, in the end the Jail is accredited. It does seem that the Sheriff should have brought in an outside evaluator to at least make it appear less biased, IMO. You kind of wonder if the jail goes back to the Sheriff if it will be put into play at budget time again. For the record, I oppose the jail going back to the Sheriff, because of the possibility it returns to the BCC in the future again. Leave it be.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm opposed to the jail being under the Sheriff. Nothing against Sheriff Adkinson or implying anything against him, I think he's doing a great job; but in my experience it's best to seperate the Sheriff from the jail.

leo101

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2008
Just read the reports, sounds as though there is a political component to this, in the end the Jail is accredited. It does seem that the Sheriff should have brought in an outside evaluator to at least make it appear less biased, IMO. You kind of wonder if the jail goes back to the Sheriff if it will be put into play at budget time again. For the record, I oppose the jail going back to the Sheriff, because of the possibility it returns to the BCC in the future again. Leave it be.

It was the County Commissioners that asked the Sheriff to conduct the review. He only did as they requested. In my opinion the jail is a law enforcement function and it should be run by the Sheriff. I know what they say about opinions, but that?s mine

I think the board did the best they could with the hand they were dealt by Johnson. But we now have a very competent and capable Sheriff. And I think that most will agree with me on that part.

Its become more than a dollar and cents issue for me after reading the reports, although I think that Director Glidewells account of the budget skirt the actual numbers and the Sheriff?s report show a more accurate account. Its about keeping the bad guys in the jail, and making sure they stay there.

Concerned

Beach Comber
May 21, 2010
It was the County Commissioners that asked the Sheriff to conduct the review. He only did as they requested. In my opinion the jail is a law enforcement function and it should be run by the Sheriff. I know what they say about opinions, but that?s mine

I think the board did the best they could with the hand they were dealt by Johnson. But we now have a very competent and capable Sheriff. And I think that most will agree with me on that part.

Its become more than a dollar and cents issue for me after reading the reports, although I think that Director Glidewells account of the budget skirt the actual numbers and the Sheriff?s report show a more accurate account. Its about keeping the bad guys in the jail, and making sure they stay there.

How can this report be accurate. How can you state that when over half on the board the sheriff set up to do the review have no corrections experience, and one of them acctually applied for the Job that Mr Glidwell holds.
The commisioner that started this investigation is a long time friend of the the sheriff. If this was not a witch hunt why not just submit a report on how the sheriff's office could cut cost and run it more efficiently. Instead it was an attack on the jail, that was just accreditted by the state. This is just another attempt by our local goverment to get what they want at any cost. As someone said earlier this political football needs to stay grounded

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
How can this report be accurate. How can you state that when over half on the board the sheriff set up to do the review have no corrections experience, and one of them acctually applied for the Job that Mr Glidwell holds.
The commisioner that started this investigation is a long time friend of the the sheriff. If this was not a witch hunt why not just submit a report on how the sheriff's office could cut cost and run it more efficiently. Instead it was an attack on the jail, that was just accreditted by the state. This is just another attempt by our local goverment to get what they want at any cost. As someone said earlier this political football needs to stay grounded

Bingo ! You win the prize for connecting the dots.

leo101

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2008

I did not see much in the report that require a corrections back ground to know it was unsafe and it doesn?t take an accountant to figure out the jail budget has gone up over half a million dollars in three years. In the process of cutting positions and putting the safety of corrections staff in jeopardy.

As far a being accredited you have to adopt policies and standards that you agree to follow. That doesn?t mean that they are followed once the accreditation review is concluded. I can tell you all day long that we follow the rules, but if the Director over rides the policy who's going to buck him.

As far as the report, it well stated how the Sheriff's Office would run it more effectively. In my opinion there was no question as to what they would change. And I also noticed that Director Glidewell has already adopted some of those very changes, on top of hanging the Human Resource Department out to dry.

Concerned

Beach Comber
May 21, 2010
I did not see much in the report that require a corrections back ground to know it was unsafe and it doesn?t take an accountant to figure out the jail budget has gone up over half a million dollars in three years. In the process of cutting positions and putting the safety of corrections staff in jeopardy.

As far a being accredited you have to adopt policies and standards that you agree to follow. That doesn?t mean that they are followed once the accreditation review is concluded. I can tell you all day long that we follow the rules, but if the Director over rides the policy who's going to buck him.

As far as the report, it well stated how the Sheriff's Office would run it more effectively. In my opinion there was no question as to what they would change. And I also noticed that Director Glidewell has already adopted some of those very changes, on top of hanging the Human Resource Department out to dry.

Ok so now I see you are not just a concerned citizen worried about their tax dollars. You are either a fired employee of the jail or a disgruntled employee. ( I can tell you all day long that we follow the rules, but if the Director over rides the policy who's going to buck him.) Yes i did read the reports and I also read where the budget has went up. I have also read where this is a much higher rate of prisoners. So does that not automatically mean the budget will rise. So i guess it does take an accounting degree to figure somethings out.

Concerned

Beach Comber
May 21, 2010
I also wonder why if all admin at the jail are worried about their jobs then why one of the top two of the jail adminstrators bought a new truck. I wonder if this is because he is related to a certain female commisioner. Is this how her vote got bought. In the rumor mill he has a job waiting for him at county admin. Good ole boy system at work again.... JUST WANDERING

Concerned

Beach Comber
May 21, 2010

I have just went over minutes from bcc meetings I have not seen where they discussed a review of the jail. I thought that if it was discussed between BCC members it had to be at a meeting. So this review must of been requested by one member of BCC and that would be Scott Brannon. (friend to the sheriff). That in itself should tell you that there is a problem with this review.