• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oooooh, I could marry those plaster walls in the homes at Alys Beach! I wonder if one could add colorant to the interior plaster? I wouldn't, because I'd rather get the color from furnishings and art. There are many homes with beautiful beams, as well. It does boil down to personal taste and that is why 30A is so unique!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't want to banter back and forth but I wanted to clarify. I agree that we all buy things we don't need, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I also agree that many people have second homes just to enjoy them, myself included. I also own a boat that I surely didn't need. However, would you pay 25% more for boat A than a comparable boat B just because you had extra cash? Most people wouldn't and that is one reason why Aly's sold 2 properties this year.

If you consider a stick frame home in WaterColor comparable to a concrete home in the setting of Alys Beach, I would understand your point. I could take that a step farther and compare your home in WaterColor to a similar home built in a neighborhood near the Bay. Just as you would say the latter two are not comparable, I would say the former two are not comparable.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That is true only if you are comparing 2 similar items.

Alys Beach homes cost more because their typical construction costs are more than those of a house somewhere like Watercolor - concrete block building vs. stud framed, concrete roof tiles vs corrugated metal or shingle, stone & glass tile vs. ceramic interior tile, stone vs. cast concrete pavers etc.

I'm not saying Alys is better than Watercolor, just that the building costs are higher, driving the selling price for a home higher.

I think you also have to compare the number of potential WaterColor guests and owners on the beach in front of WaterColor to the number of Alys Beach owners and guests on the beach in front of their project. WaterColor is a great development, but it and Alys Beach are unique and separate.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Oooooh, I could marry those plaster walls in the homes at Alys Beach! I wonder if one could add colorant to the interior plaster? I wouldn't, because I'd rather get the color from furnishings and art. There are many homes with beautiful beams, as well. It does boil down to personal taste and that is why 30A is so unique!

You can add color to plaster, but it is not always uniform and can separate/streak like stucco - the more color, the more potential issues.

I'm a big fan of white/neutral walls & ceilings in main living areas and the color coming from wood accents, furnishings, art etc.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Fisher, I didn't realize that we were commenting on our personal preferences on this thread. If I had known that, I wouldn't have given my professional opinion. I prefer a very small cottage with the basic necessities and a few amenities. :lol:

BTW, I've been inside many WaterColor homes, and while I will occasionally see a Mahogany door painted, it is rare that I see expensive woods for flooring, walls and ceilings. Typically, it is inexpensive yellow Pine.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor

Ms. Kitty,
You can absolutely do integrally colored stucco or plaster and it can be as variegated and beautiful as the white sheen although the color range is obviously more limited.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
fisher; I have also noticed a lot of significant cracking in the concrete block and stucco in the Alys homes that I have toured. One I recall had a half inch crack in the wall from floor up to the top of the 20 foot wall. That doesn't happen with wood frame.[/quote said:
I have no idea what you are insinuating here.

Basics of construction: The very nature of masonry units (blocks) means that they will shift a little gradually over time, and despite the use of control joints, minor cracking will occur. These are natural, predictable and a harmless byproduct of settlement and are not a cause for concern.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
fisher; I have also noticed a lot of significant cracking in the concrete block and stucco in the Alys homes that I have toured. One I recall had a half inch crack in the wall from floor up to the top of the 20 foot wall. That doesn't happen with wood frame.[/quote said:
[/B][/B]

I have no idea what you are insinuating here.

Basics of construction: The very nature of masonry units (blocks) means that they will shift a little gradually over time, and despite the use of control joints, minor cracking will occur. These are natural, predictable and a harmless byproduct of settlement and are not a cause for concern.