• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Hopefully, that was intended as a joke ... but not a very good one. I’m sorry we don’t have an ocean in St. Louis, but we don’t. Would it be okay if we borrow a bit of your beach?
Borrow all the beach you want, but are you sure you're healthy enough to make the trip?

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
This thread is not locals versus tourists but, rather rude/ignorant/entitled people versus not. Most of “locals” started out as tourists, who got their piece of sand, and now bash those who simply wish to do the same.....what has happened to being neighborly and welcoming?! I’m ashamed of the “locals” who show their a$$ and cause our visitors to think we’re all like that. We aren’t.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
This thread is not locals versus tourists but, rather rude/ignorant/entitled people versus not. Most of “locals” started out as tourists, who got their piece of sand, and now bash those who simply wish to do the same.....what has happened to being neighborly and welcoming?! I’m ashamed of the “locals” who show their a$$ and cause our visitors to think we’re all like that. We aren’t.
I have been watching the live stream on you tube today; it does seem to be a complicated issue. We have seen rude, ignorant, entitled tourist as well ... not sure what to do about them because we have them in our neighborhood here in STL. My husband and I do rent from the beach vendors, and we hope to be able to continue to do so. I’ve explained why in my previous posts, yet some folks on this forum don’t seem to understand, so that make snarky remarks . (E.G. Poppaj) I have said over and over again that beach vendors need rules and regulations that are enforced. We don’t mind having our chairs/umbrella set up 20’ back from the water line and walking to the water, but hauling those items to the sand is just not as easy as it was in our 30s, 40s, and 50s.

JBBeached

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2008
Not all tourists do “day camping”, so what should those of us who want to visit do. Should we go through a security check points similar to the airports? Do we need to have our beach gear measured and weighed? I have been asking questions and replying politely for a day or so, but perhaps I should just be a rude as some of you locals are being. My husband and I have been outraged by the way some folks treat the beach and the ocean .... WE ARE NOT LIKE THAT!

I didn't think my response was rude. I'm sorry you felt that it was. I was just pointing out what some of the issues are. I didn't say ALL tourists day camp, merely pointing out that it happens and it's quite irritating to other tourists and locals alike. I walk down, take 2 chairs, a cooler and beach bag. We stay a few hours and we leave. I usually pick up whatever other garbage is laying by that will fit in my Public garbage bag and take it to my garbage can. I have sat on the beach in front on my house twice this summer. It's so packed by 6 AM during the summer, there is no place for us to sit. I work during the week. I would love to be able to sit on the beach on Saturday and Sunday without getting up at the crack of dawn to secure a spot. With the day camping that takes place, nobody leaves to free up a place until well after sunset so I don't go to the beach.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
There are a lot of pisswd off people in SoWal right now been backed into a corner and had enough of rich outsiders buying beachfront and telling them to stay off the beach entitled tourists trashing the place and thinking they can do whatever they want because they pay outrageous rent County officials grubbing cheating owned by developers and then there are chill beach lovers that want the rest to shut up and leave them alone.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
I didn't think my response was rude. I'm sorry you felt that it was. I was just pointing out what some of the issues are. I didn't say ALL tourists day camp, merely pointing out that it happens and it's quite irritating to other tourists and locals alike. I walk down, take 2 chairs, a cooler and beach bag. We stay a few hours and we leave. I usually pick up whatever other garbage is laying by that will fit in my Public garbage bag and take it to my garbage can. I have sat on the beach in front on my house twice this summer. It's so packed by 6 AM during the summer, there is no place for us to sit. I work during the week. I would love to be able to sit on the beach on Saturday and Sunday without getting up at the crack of dawn to secure a spot. With the day camping that takes place, nobody leaves to free up a place until well after sunset so I don't go to the beach.
I can see that this is a complicated issue. I wish I knew the perfect solution so that we can be tourists who can visit and also respect property owners.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I have been watching the live stream on you tube today; it does seem to be a complicated issue. We have seen rude, ignorant, entitled tourist as well ... not sure what to do about them because we have them in our neighborhood here in STL. My husband and I do rent from the beach vendors, and we hope to be able to continue to do so. I’ve explained why in my previous posts, yet some folks on this forum don’t seem to understand, so that make snarky remarks . (E.G. Poppaj) I have said over and over again that beach vendors need rules and regulations that are enforced. We don’t mind having our chairs/umbrella set up 20’ back from the water line and walking to the water, but hauling those items to the sand is just not as easy as it was in our 30s, 40s, and 50s.
Lighten up Wuchie and quit feeling persecuted. If you want to rent chairs and umbrellas from a vendor no one is going to stop you. We understand you don't want to be burdened with toting your own gear. I only suggested an option that can give visitors more flexibility and can be gifted to another family when they depart.