Your thoughts on these Restaurants?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by jlee745, May 16, 2007.

1. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Yes! Great pizza and the kids will love the cheesy bread!

2. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Another reason I :wub: you. Once is definitely too many times for Fud's. Even my little kids were wanting to leave.

3. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

Thanks for Shrimper's info ya'll. Where's Whales' Tail? :dunno:
    We liked the Donut Hole when we tried it.

4. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Whales Tail is off Old 98 - just West of the outlet mall - It is part of Seascape. Right on the beach - and breakfast watching the dolphins is great. Or sunset in the fall with a cocktail two isn't too bad either

Just down from Whales Tail is Theo's Pizza. Pretty decent - Local hangout.

5. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Yes, cheeseburger at Whale's Tail upstairs. A word to the wise-if you are going to do the Donut Hole, get there early as it is jam-packed by 10AM this time of year, and bring cash;it is cash only, and you can use the ATM on site if you are OK with a $3 transaction fee (on top of whatever your bank hits you with)!

There is no excuse to go to Fuddpucker's unless your kids are nagging you to death. Expect to experience a mega-madhouse of overstimulated kids, terribly mediocre yet expensive food and entry level service.

Nobody mentioned the bagel place in Destin. We did breakfast there and it was really good!

6. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

Thanks BL2, I'll have to check it out when I'm down on that end of town some time. :cool:

7. beachpirate

beachpirate Beach Lover

I know it's a little bit of a drive but my fav. is Dewey Destin. It's the last street before you go over the bridge to Ft. Walton. Sit on the piers and eat,great views. it's getting busier but it's still a great smaller (locals) place to eat.

8. Beachlover2

I agree about Dewey Destins - had lunch there a couple of weeks ago - fresh - fresh fish - (not SYSCO) great views - a lot of locals there for lunch as well. My mahi mahi sandwich was around 8 dollars with fries and cole slaw. Not too bad for a fresh fish sandwich. If you haven't been there before go in to order - don't just sit down and wait for a waitress. When your order is ready they call out your name - wave and they will bring the food to your picnic table. When we were there the dolphins were swimming back and forth within 15 feet of the dock. Very picturesque. This is my sons favorite place - 2nd goes to Borago.

9. DD

DD SoWal Expert

I too love Dewey Destin. :clap:

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    jlee745,
    Before we discovered SoWal, we used to stay in SanDestin. We really liked the pizzas at Jordano's. Daughter and I liked the chicken and tomato, hubby liked the Italian sausage. We would have it at least twice during a weeklong visit. Now we'll stop there about once every two years on the way back from Destin to pick up a pizza to take back to SoWal. I'd say the pizza is better than Bruno's, way better than Angelina's, and Amoré doesn't compare because it's of a different genre.

We used to eat at Captain Jewel Melvin's for old-school seafood platters, La Paz, and Marina Café and Flamingo Café for more upscale food. I'm not sure which of those are there any more.

There are numerous great restaurants on 30-A that are discussed in another thread.

Oh, and daughter always had fun at Big Kahuna when she was younger. I don't know if it's worth the money for adults, but the kids get their money's worth.

Have funn!

11. Chia Pet

Chia Pet Beach Comber

Fudpuckers was smelly and dirty. I also took issue with the alligators being on display there. Looked like too many in one area. The service was awful too.

12. Beachlover2

Forgot to mention - while there - heard that Dewey Destin was planning on opening in the "new" harbor area. Was told they would still keep the current location open - Hope so!!!!

BR

La Paz - Marina Cafe and Flamingo Cafe are all still open.

13. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Where is Flamingo Cafe? I thought they closed years ago. :dunno: We loved the original and thought it went down hill when it expanded.

14. Beachlover2

You are right - I forgot it is now Destin Chops. Sorry. I think Flamingo Cafe closed about 2 years ago.

15. butterbean

butterbean Beach Fanatic

what about Blue Orleans for breakfast all day and night!:lolabove:

16. ozbeachmom

ozbeachmom Beach Lover

We love Blue Orleans!! And Dewey Destins can't be beat for the food, atmosphere and the kids love the fact that the dolphins swim right up to the dock! :D

17. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Is stinky fish camp open for lunch yet?

18. jlee745

jlee745 Beach Comber

Ok we have dropped the plans for Fudpuckers and planning on going to Dewey Destin. I was wondering if it will be to hot to go eat lunch there.(will be visiting in 2 wks). What is a good time to get there. We were either wanting to eat first and then hit the outlet mall/destin commons or shopping first and then eating.
    Also what does everyone recommend?

19. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Good choice! We've eaten there in the middle of summer and there are umbrellas and since you're right on the water there is usually a breeze to keep you comfortable. I think they are closed on Mondays, so check their hours before you go.

20. jlee745

jlee745 Beach Comber

What is your fav. thing to eat at Dewey Destin?