Ziploc Omelets

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by kathydwells, May 16, 2006.

1. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

This was sent to me by a friend this morning. I thought I would share with you guys. It looks good, and easy, a plus for me.

ZIPLOC OMELET

The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.

Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you got a nice omlette for a quick breakfast!!! I think my kids are going to like this!

I used tomatoes, ham, green onions, cheddar cheese and mushrooms in this one!

2. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

How eggciting!!!!

3. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Eggcellent idea! I'm going to show this to the kids and we'll try it.

4. skippertoo

skippertoo Beach Fanatic

COOL ! I am going to try this.

5. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Great idea for a quick morning fix before hitting the beach. Just add coffee or a bloody mary :rolling:

6. kathydwells

Let me know how it works out. I am going to try it this weekend!!!

7. kathydwells

Or both in my case!!!! :lol:

8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I have a sEGGestion:

After the omelet firms up, throw the omelet (without the baggie, of course) into a skillet with olive oil for a few secs to brown it off and get that crunchy (as opposed to wet) taste that great omelets have.

Great recipe. I'm trying it!

9. Unplugged

Unplugged Beach Fanatic

May give it a whirl - but what about this ? :eek:

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Is there an advantage, health wise, for cooking like this instead of using the traditional method for whipping up an omelet? Also, what about the disadvantages of toxins released from heated plastics?

11. kathydwells

Somehow I knew you were going to rain on my parade, and when I saw you had posted in this thread, I knew exactly what you were going to say. This is scary!

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Kathy, I like that you are able to cook multiple omelets simultaneously using this method. That is a huge plus. If you could find a way to cook pancakes this way, it would probably catch on, too. As we find more and more foods being overly processed these days, I am searching for better ways of preparing foods, and trying to eat less processed stuff. I know the convenience factor outweighs the health benefits for most people, but I have been there, and don't like it. Give me food that taste like real food over convenience anyday. One of the things I like about living here is that I have extremely limited convenience foods available, so I cook more often, and usually a little healthier, too, not to mention a huge price difference.

I was really hoping you would be able to tell me that this cooking method is a healthier version than the traditional method. I don't use butter in my omelets and try not to have more than one yolk if any, so that I don't blow a gasket. ;-)

13. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

I wasn't so much worried about the plastic toxins from the baggie as whether the plastic would impart an aftertaste. But on the other hand, surely the plastic wouldn't be harmful, or how would those plastic baking bags work??:dunno:

14. Beach Runner

I figure if you drink a few mimosas or bloody Mary's with the omelet, the alcohol will counteract the toxins from the plastic.:funn:

Actually, aren't there baggies that are safe for microwaving or boiling?:dunno: I

15. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

But if you feel the need to throw the omelet into a skillet with olive oil, it sort of defeats the whole cook-several-omelets-all-at-the-same-time purpose.
    Beach Runner, you are probably like my husband, you like your eggs well done instead of gooky.
    I like my eggs gooky and I like them with their yolks and I liked them cooked in Organic Valley *real* butter.
    Kathydwells, too bad we never go camping anymore, your recipe would be great for that! I still might try it, simply for the fun of it. :)

16. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

COOL!

Do we think it would work the same way with egg whites?

17. kathydwells

I am with you on the overly processed foods. I really try to avoid them, and have for several months now. I was thinking that this is much healthier than say putting the baggy in the microwave and cooking the omelets. I think by boiling them it should be OK. I do think this healthier than throwing them in a pan with butter or oil. However, I think I might try to melt just a little real butter and throw that in with the eggs and stuff, just for a little flavor. Not much, maybe a teaspoon or so. Kimmi and SJ, I think it would work with just the egg whites also. Let's all try them and see how they come out!!!!

18. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

My kind of brunch. You can dine with me any time. :D

19. kathydwells

And I will join both of you!!!! :D

20. Beach Runner

Nah, I like my omelets soft on the inside and hard on the outside. Kinda like French bread in NOLA.