• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm sure that two people on this message board will say that it is about principle, but we all know that this is about one stinking volleyball net on the beach in front of Edgewater.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I'm sure that two people on this message board will say that it is about principle, but we all know that this is about one stinking volleyball net on the beach in front of Edgewater.

For clarification sake, I am not talking about volleyball nets or semi-permenant, commercial structures like those at condominiums, I am talking about supporting the removal of personal tents, umbrellas, chairs, and temporary pools.

By the way, I would like to say that the condo with the volleyball net removes all their chairs, umbrellas, and trash off the beach at night and have historically supported clean beaches.
Posted via Mobile Device

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
are people just raised by wolves now? is nobody taught respect and not to litter or to leave something as you found it? why are people so selfish and entitled acting? this is really bothersome :sosad:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
For clarification sake, I am not talking about volleyball nets or semi-permenant, commercial structures like those at condominiums, I am talking about supporting the removal of personal tents, umbrellas, chairs, and temporary pools.

By the way, I would like to say that the condo with the volleyball net removes all their chairs, umbrellas, and trash off the beach at night and have historically supported clean beaches.
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny you should say that. I was at chez Interested Girl the other night and their beach really is clean. I saw the infamous volleyball net, quite neglected, lonely and insignificant. The big ugly at that place (other than the signs) is the terraced grass which requires so much water and fertilizers to stay deep green and lush, much of which must be leaching into the gulf. But that is another problem for another time.

snookerpie

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2009
Marietta, GA
Sounds like a good role model for those of us concerned with the quality of our beaches and community here.

Trashed out beaches will drive away tourists, including the ones doing the trashing, who will have to find new "undiscovered" places to leave their crap and sent up their tent condo cities. Fewer tourists + less spending in our businesses and less tax revenue. Well, I guess our beaches will certainly be clean again if nobody visits here.:sosad:

As Lynnie mentioned on another thread, the Lorax teaches a lesson- good summer reading.;-)

The Sneetches, Oh, the Places You'll Go, and Green eggs and ham ain't bad either!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
The Sneetches, Oh, the Places You'll Go, and Green eggs and ham ain't bad either!

Love 'em all!

So, how long will it take Walton County to revise the ordinace and get it back in force? Anyone know?

jessifunn

superJfunn
Jul 7, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Please don't suggest licensing to set up sun protection on the beach! Accountability is good, but licensing sucks. We have too many as it is. We already have problems enforcing the existing codes.

have you seen all the chairs and umbrellas owned by a rental company left on the beach in seagrove? they have some sort of license that allows them to leave their crap on the beach. what's up with that smiley j :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I believe the beach chair rental guys were all told the same as everyone else, Move it or lose it. They raised a little stink, but I think that nothing changed about the County's response. I'm pretty certain some rental chair companies would be in violation of the existing ordinance as written, but then again, the County has advised the TDC to hold off on enforcing the existing ordinance until they receive work out some kinks with the ordinance as written. I believe Edgewater condos filed suit against the County because Edgewater's volleyball net would not be in compliance, so if you want to thank anyone for causing the TDC not to remove the crap from the entire stretch of beaches in South Walton, I'm pretty sure you can direct that gratitude to Edgewater condominiums in Miramar Beach. As I said, I believe this entire ordeal is over one volleyball net, that clogged up the entire freaking system, ruining the beaches for everyone.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
FL Statute on abandoned property

Title XL
REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
Chapter 705
LOST OR ABANDONED PROPERTY
View Entire Chapter [SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]705.102 Reporting lost or abandoned property.-- [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](1) Whenever any person finds any lost or abandoned property, such person shall report the description and location of the property to a law enforcement officer. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](2) The law enforcement officer taking the report shall ascertain whether the person reporting the property wishes to make a claim to it if the rightful owner cannot be identified or located. If the person does wish to make such claim, he or she shall deposit with the law enforcement agency a reasonable sum sufficient to cover the agency's cost for transportation, storage, and publication of notice. This sum shall be reimbursed to the finder by the rightful owner should he or she identify and reclaim the property. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](3) It is unlawful for any person who finds any lost or abandoned property to appropriate the same to his or her own use or to refuse to deliver the same when required. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](4) Any person who unlawfully appropriates such lost or abandoned property to his or her own use or refuses to deliver such property when required commits theft as defined in s. 812.014, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.[/SIZE]

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Is that really the verbage we are talking about?

This seems like it should be for a found boat or something of much greater value than a beach chair. I can see where this wording needs help. This simply doesn't adequately apply to finding a broken shovel or a floatie blown around on the beach.