• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's only private if someone is there 24/7 to kick me off it AND if I can't be on the wet sand or find another loophole.

Any guesses as to who will ultimately prevail? Smart money is on me! The US military has yet to win a guerilla war, so a HOA has no chance! :wave:

Dlund

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2011
From what I understand when an owner accepts Government/Tax Payers money for beach renourishment that deems that section of the beach the was renorished, Public. Now if the property owner paid for their own beach renourishment and it is in their deed they own to the mean high tide line. Then they own to the wet sand.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Recently in seacrest, the chairs are set up so closely, you can hardly get by them. It feels rude to walk through a family to get to the beach -- but there aren't any gaps. Eventually I had to move my chair and place it in front of the rental chairs because I couldn't see my kids playing in the water from the "second row". It's really ridiculous!!!

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Not sure of the company, but our neighborhood access has been staked out by the chair folks - and they are not removing them from the beach at night, just stacking them near the dune line.

I just put my towel down in front of the chairs - they're empty most of the time anyway.
I haven't read all the responses but I say move the chairs to make necessary room. If no one arrives in a reasonable amount of time, take them down and stack them. They don't own the beach.

g8r b8

Beach Comber
Aug 1, 2011
SRB
Why not pay for a setup from one of the vendors? They are just as entitled to the public beaches as anybody, property owner OR tourist. If you don't like being behind them, get up before 6:30 and get your spot before they get out there.

FYI in most areas (all except for Sunrise between goatfeathers and ed walline), the vendors are not require to remove their equipment from the beach completely. Moving it up to the base of the dune or sand fencing is all they are required to do.

This "entitlement" that a lot of property owners and especially visitors feel they have for the beach is hilarious.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think wanting to be able to enjoy your own neighborhood beach access means you are "entitled." :roll:

g8r b8

Beach Comber
Aug 1, 2011
SRB
no, that's certainly not "entitlement". I wasn't aware that the chair companies were preventing people from using the beach accesses, I thought they were just getting out there first in the morning and getting the "prime" real estate. I can't believe how many people come down to the beach after 10 in the morning and are actually upset that there is no room anywhere near the water for them to set up.

It is, afterall, a business and the chair companies are doing what they can to entice people into using their equipment. Pretty basic business sense if you ask me.

Last edited:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
no, that's certainly not "entitlement". I wasn't aware that the chair companies were preventing people from using the beach accesses, I thought they were just getting out there first in the morning and getting the "prime" real estate. I can't believe how many people come down to the beach after 10 in the morning and are actually upset that there is no room anywhere near the water for them to set up.

It is, afterall, a business and the chair companies are doing what they can to entice people into using their equipment. Pretty basic business sense if you ask me.

With this thinking, I could gather up all the beach towels and chairs I owned, go out early and spread them out to stake claim for any of my friends or acquaintances who might show up. Sort of like "saving seats" (a huge #) at a venue that has open seating? That goes over real well!
:sarc:

g8r b8

Beach Comber
Aug 1, 2011
SRB
I can't speak for all of the companies, but majority of them don't throw umbrellas and chairs out until they've been rented, especially at the public accesses. Even at the condominiums, if there is a second row of chairs set up you can rest assured every set on the front row has been rented. The fact that nobody happens to be sitting in them at the time you're getting to the beach is irrelevant.