• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Question - has anyone else not gotten their census form in the mail?

I figured as a registered voter and regular tax payer who hadn't moved in years I rated a form. :dunno:

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
The Census worker who came to our huose Saturday said that no census forms were mailed out in this area, b/c of so much housing under construction and uncertainty as to what homes were residences and which ones were under construction. I imagine also the high % of rental units may have been a factor. So apparently all Sowal censuses will be collected by Census workers.

You'd think they could have at least mailed forms to every address of people who voted in the last election or two. Maybe this is a jobs program too?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That seems logical to a point - the point being that you could easily limit where you mail forms.

Years at the same mailing address w/ a driver's license, passport, car registration, mail service, voter registration, and taxes would seem a no brainer. :dunno:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Question - has anyone else not gotten their census form in the mail?

I figured as a registered voter and regular tax payer who hadn't moved in years I rated a form. :dunno:

I was told no one in Walton County will get a census form in the mail. They are doing a thorough check on mapping, new houses, houses that are no longer in living condition, the actual number of people living here on April 1, 2010. Also because we are a resort community the condos are all being checked for residents. It's actually pretty neat. Please be respectful of those who contact you, as they have a hard job to do. A tremendous training effort has happened to make sure everyone going out knows why the census is being taken and what part they play by being as accurate as they can be.

It's a beautiful day today!:clap:

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
As previously stated, I had been hired for the Census; but, I broke my leg on Sunday before I was to go to trainig. I had been assigned the Sandestin area and would have loved it. I was so disappointed!! I will be able to work in a couple of weeks and really hope to get a chance at this experience. Hope it won't be too late.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
We almost got missed. We had received a notice of visit on our door, and it said we would get another visit. I called the number on the form after a few days when we didn't hear anything back. The guy asked our address, and then said he'd already taken care of it. I asked for some clarification since I knew we hadn't responded. I was told that our neighbor told him our house was a vacation rental/second home. Wrong, we're permanent residents.

I like the idea of a direct contact, but if they are going to so easily assume a house is a second home then we are going to have a huge under count.

DeFuniak is having a mail it back festival for the census, and they didn't even send forms to homesteaded houses in SoWal.

Make sure you get counted, it's important for everything from BCC districts to schools and getting the number of hospital beds available.

Astara

Beach Comber
Mar 3, 2010
We almost got missed. We had received a notice of visit on our door, and it said we would get another visit. I called the number on the form after a few days when we didn't hear anything back. The guy asked our address, and then said he'd already taken care of it. I asked for some clarification since I knew we hadn't responded. I was told that our neighbor told him our house was a vacation rental/second home. Wrong, we're permanent residents.

I like the idea of a direct contact, but if they are going to so easily assume a house is a second home then we are going to have a huge under count.

DeFuniak is having a mail it back festival for the census, and they didn't even send forms to homesteaded houses in SoWal.

Make sure you get counted, it's important for everything from BCC districts to schools and getting the number of hospital beds available.

I was hired as a quality control enumerator. Our job will be to go out behind the enumerators (census takers) and check a sample from each neighborhood (assignment area) for accuracy. If the information from the sample isn't accurate then the entire area will be re-canvassed. The only flaw with what happened to you is that we are required to go and speak to the original respondent even if it isn't the homeowner or an adult who lives there, the neighbor in your case. You might want to educate your neighbor in the event he is re-interviewed as part of the random sample from your area.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I was hired as a quality control enumerator. Our job will be to go out behind the enumerators (census takers) and check a sample from each neighborhood (assignment area) for accuracy. If the information from the sample isn't accurate then the entire area will be re-canvassed. The only flaw with what happened to you is that we are required to go and speak to the original respondent even if it isn't the homeowner or an adult who lives there, the neighbor in your case. You might want to educate your neighbor in the event he is re-interviewed as part of the random sample
from your area.

Well, that will be tough since the only "neighbors" I've had this week are in fact vacationers.

Since you know the system, a question -- even after I told the census taker that we were permanent residents, he only asked our names, dob, race, and relationship to each other. Nothing else. Is that really all the information they are collecting?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Well, that will be tough since the only "neighbors" I've had this week are in fact vacationers.

Since you know the system, a question -- even after I told the census taker that we were permanent residents, he only asked our names, dob, race, and relationship to each other. Nothing else. Is that really all the information they are collecting?

Like Toots, we had really nice census takers- and there were lots of questions about every family member! :dunno:

I think people here would have to be living under a rock to not know the census count is going on- I see info about it every day through school, news, internet...if you have not been counted, make a phone call and make sure you are!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

Punzy you can find the form HERE. These are the questions that were asked on the form that was mailed to me.

Last edited: