• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
America's Job Boomtowns> Florida's Hot, Midwest is Not> > Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor> > Looking for a new job? You might want to think about heading to the> Sunshine State. > > For the second year in a row, Florida metropolitan areas dominate the> Milken Institute Best Performing Cities Index, a measurement of where> jobs are being created in America. > > The 2005 Index's top three metro areas adding jobs at rapid pace are in> Florida, led by this year's top-ranked metro, Palm> Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, followed by last year's top scorer, Cape> Coral-Fort Myers, and Naples-Marco Island, in third place. > > The Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville area is located near the John F.> Kennedy Space Center and has a diversified economy with many aerospace> and defense-related industries, as well as space-related tourism and a> growing number of retirees. > > Even severe hurricane seasons could not topple Florida's growth trends.> The state's metros hold not just the index's top three slots, but five> of its top six and 12 of its top 30. > > "The state is creating jobs at a prodigious rate," said Ross DeVol, the> Institute's director of Regional Economics and the report's lead author.> "It has all the makings of a job-creating machine: good weather, low> costs, a growing population, a strong tourism industry and little heavy> manufacturing." > > The index ranks U.S. metros based on their ability to create and> sustain jobs. It includes both long-term (five years) and short-term> (one year) measurements of job, wage and salary, and technology growth.> > > The 2005 winners have similar characteristics: strong and growing> service sectors, a robust recovery in tourism, growing populations and> an increase in the number of retirees. As evidence, six metros in the> top 20 come from the Southwest, including three in California> (Riverside, Santa Barbara and Santa Ana) and two in Arizona (Tucson and> Phoenix). The other is Las Vegas. > > By comparison, the Midwest has none. The top-rated Midwest metro is> Madison, Wis., at 35th. Nine of the bottom 10 spots on the index were> from the Midwest -- five from Michigan and four from Ohio -- reflecting> the region's troubled manufacturing sector. Flint, Mich., is at the> bottom at No. 200. > > Big-Cities' Rankings: The top 10 performers of the 200 largest metros:> > 1. Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Fla.> 2. Cape Coral-Fort Meyers, Fla.> 3. Naples-Marco Island, Fla.> 4. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas > 5. Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, Fla.> 6. Orlando-Kissimmee, Fla.> 7. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-Va.-Md.-W.Va.> 8. Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, Ark.-Mo.> 9. Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, Fla.> 10. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Ca.> > > Thanks to the presence of the federal government and a dramatic> increase in the growth of technology firms in the region, the> Washington, D.C. metropolitan area is the highest-ranked of America's> largest 10 cities, at No. 7, followed by Riverside-San> Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. at No. 10 and Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz.> at No. 15. > > Small-Cities' Rankings: > > In what amounts to a clean sweep, another Florida metro -- Fort Walton> Beach-Crestview-Destin -- also ranked No. 1 on the Institute's separate> listing of America's smallest 179 metros, followed by Bend, Ore. (2),> and Prescott, Ariz. (3). > > 1. Fort Walton Beach-Crestview-Destin, Fla.> 2. Bend, Ore.> 3. Prescott, Ariz.> 4. Panama City-Lynn Haven, Fla.> 5. St. George, Utah> 6. Madera, Calif.> 7. Kennewick-Richland-Pasco, Wash.> 8. Logan, Utah-Idaho > 9. Yuma, Ariz.> 10. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho > > The biggest movers from last year were Bremerton-Silverdale, Wash.,> which moved up 104 places (122nd to 18th), and Newark-Union, N.J.-Penn.,> which dropped 101 spots (39th to 140th).​

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Welcome to Florida!

(1) Sure we've got TONS of jobs!!

(2) What's that? You want to make enough money to pay rent, gas, insurance, etc.? AND have a life?

(3) Oh, well, then....for that you'll need about 3 jobs, but no worries...we've got TONS jobs!!

(4) Forget about the part of having a "life" though.

Welcome to Florida! Now, put on that paper hat and let me show you how to work the deep fat fryer.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
SHELLY said:
Welcome to Florida!

(1) Sure we've got TONS of jobs!!

(2) What's that? You want to make enough money to pay rent, gas, insurance, etc.? AND have a life?

(3) Oh, well, then....for that you'll need about 3 jobs, but no worries...we've got TONS jobs!!

(4) Forget about the part of having a "life" though.

Welcome to Florida! Now, put on that paper hat and let me show you how to work the deep fat fryer.

Shelly, if Florida is such a bad place, if you live there, why don't you leave and go to a place you believe is nicer and happier and more fair to people? I'm assuming you have options. Perhaps you're here because you're taking care of elderly parents, family business, or doing something important that holds you back from leaving. Perhaps you're here because you're actively taking positive steps in your day-to-day life to change the things about the area that you don't like. :dunno:

It must be so sad for you to be in a place that inspires you to post so many cynical and critical messages -- and to rush to counter a positive post with negative sarcasm. :sosad: There are probably many places in the world that would make you happier -- unless you just take that worldview wherever you go.

There's lots of room in Florida (including the Panhandle and around SoWal) for people of different incomes and backgrounds who would find it a lovely and uplifting place for them to build a future. :love: It's clearly not a good fit for everyone.

Thanks for the useful post, Cork. Of course, there are multiple sides to any story, but your post is helpful to read.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I agree that life would be more pleasant to close one's eyes, have a drink, or take a pill and forget the "cares of the world."

Sometimes to find balance one must offset the "pollyanna view" with "harsh reality." In between the two is where reality exists.

The reality is that more and more honest, hard-working individuals in our area are finding it difficult to achieve and maintain a decent lifestyle. So kick back and enjoy Florida living....have a drink, take a pill...but for pete's sake, leave a tip for the maid--$6.50 per hour doesn't go as far as it used to in SoWal.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
SHELLY said:
I agree that life would be more pleasant to close one's eyes, have a drink, or take a pill and forget the "cares of the world."

Sometimes to find balance one must offset the "pollyanna view" with "harsh reality." In between the two is where reality exists.

The reality is that more and more honest, hard-working individuals in our area are finding it difficult to achieve and maintain a decent lifestyle. So kick back and enjoy Florida living....have a drink, take a pill...but for pete's sake, leave a tip for the maid--$6.50 per hour doesn't go as far as it used to in SoWal.

I think we hang around different kinds of people. I don't see many people in SoWal or elsewhere closing their eyes, drinking and popping pills to forget the cares of the world. So, you must be hanging around in different circles than I hang around in so your circles may bring you closer to this kind of behavior. Or you may not be seeing the many good people around you who care about the well-being of others, yet may be doing their work quietly without drawing attention to themselves or their good works -- so you have to look more carefully at what they are offering (and avoid stereotyping based on more visible characteristics). Nor do I see a lot of Pollyannas. Mostly I hang out with people (friends and family of all income and educational levels) who think broadly and can hold and discuss multiple perspectives at the same time (it's called cognitive complexity and is essential to wise decision-making and the ability to help others). In my life and wherever I go, I see mostly honest, hard-working individuals. I see greedy, non-caring people as the exception and focus my attention instead on the good people who actively work to make the world a better place.

Anyway, I'm sure (or at least I hope) that there are many places in the world where you would be able to see more good people. Not that those places would necessarily be populated with more good people than SoWal/Florida, but your lenses on SoWal and Florida seem to be too clouded to see many of the good hearted, hard working people right around you. In my view, life is too short and too precious to waste one's time in places or with people that bring out such cynicism. The thought of it sends chills down my spine. :eek:

It's indeed hard for decent, hardworking people to make a living in many places (I'm in the midwest where layoffs in the auto industry are rampant). Cynicism doesn't seem to be helpful. It gets tiresome just when people need the support and energy to move forward and find solutions.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Paula said:
In my view, life is too short and too precious to waste one's time in places or with people that bring out such cynicism. The thought of it sends chills down my spine. :eek:

It's indeed hard for decent, hardworking people to make a living in many places (I'm in the midwest where layoffs in the auto industry are rampant). Cynicism doesn't seem to be helpful. It gets tiresome just when people need the support and energy to move forward and find solutions.

Well put Paula!

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelly--Just curious. You may have stated this at another time, on another thread but would you mind saying what your major is in (I believe you have said you're in the process of researching your thesis and that said research involves studying the real estate market).

In previous threads I got the impression (perhaps erroneous) that it is somehow business related.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Great post Paula!!!

I have been here for a little over 5 years and have worked with people making 2.13 an hour to making 400,000 + a year. There is something for everyone in all walks of life here. It is expensive to live here but I have adjusted my spending habits and know what to do and where to go. Look around... where we live is BEAUTIFUL and worth the extra we pay. I remind myself of that everyday when I cross the Phillips Inlet bridge going West around sunset.....

Paula said:
I think we hang around different kinds of people. I don't see many people in SoWal or elsewhere closing their eyes, drinking and popping pills to forget the cares of the world. So, you must be hanging around in different circles than I hang around in so your circles may bring you closer to this kind of behavior. Or you may not be seeing the many good people around you who care about the well-being of others, yet may be doing their work quietly without drawing attention to themselves or their good works -- so you have to look more carefully at what they are offering (and avoid stereotyping based on more visible characteristics). Nor do I see a lot of Pollyannas. Mostly I hang out with people (friends and family of all income and educational levels) who think broadly and can hold and discuss multiple perspectives at the same time (it's called cognitive complexity and is essential to wise decision-making and the ability to help others). In my life and wherever I go, I see mostly honest, hard-working individuals. I see greedy, non-caring people as the exception and focus my attention instead on the good people who actively work to make the world a better place.

Anyway, I'm sure (or at least I hope) that there are many places in the world where you would be able to see more good people. Not that those places would necessarily be populated with more good people than SoWal/Florida, but your lenses on SoWal and Florida seem to be too clouded to see many of the good hearted, hard working people right around you. In my view, life is too short and too precious to waste one's time in places or with people that bring out such cynicism. The thought of it sends chills down my spine. :eek:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
SHELLY said:

I disagree. Extreme points of view (on either side of an issue) simply get 'tuned-out' by most people.

If you indeed care about drawing attention to issues in our area, then present us with some well thought out analysis/solutions -otherwise we are left wondering whether you really care about helping with these issues or are you just expressing views as a means to flex your witty cynacism.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I appreciate all the concern for my well-being, but believe it or not I feel I am blessed in so many ways--and believe it or not, I don't dwell 24/7 on the very, very few things that do concern me. I share joy with my friends and family and I even make a *****in' chocolate fudge cheesecake that would make ya slap yo' mama.

I like debating some issues in a way that encourages feedback--there are a few people (still about 5) who give me some very constructive feedback that challenges me to dig deeper to research the issues and help me support or discard the argument (or check my spelling-- :cool:).

The economics upheaval of our state as a result of the RE Boom is the focus of my research. The information I gather from "official sources" conflicts wildly with information I've been gathering through interviews with employees and employers--some sad stories from good folks (young and old) trying to eek out a living for their families as of late have been heartbreaking to say the least. (And they're not all SUV-drivin', Plasma-TV-watchin', put-everything-on-plastic folks either--although there are some among them--and among the area's "seemingly rich and famous" too.)

Several months ago I was a bit concerned about the area employee shortage. But it appears the solution is on the way as the real estate industry continues to cool and frees up a bunch of folks in the area (for the present time) as well as when the "guest workers" bill is adopted (for the long term)--so no problem there. (Although the county will have to work on "guest workers" barracks within bussing distance.)

And finally I reached the stage of "acceptance" when it comes to the destruction of our beaches and the turtles--I've concluded there's nothing that can be done to save them in this area (Too bad, but I've got wonderful memories of decades gone by.)

Think I'll go have a cold one, kick back and take a nap...my work is done for the day--life is good. :love: