• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
marinebiology451, That was outstanding. Your venting was spectacular. I can only hope to one day achieve your skill level. Wait, I have to go....I must check the tropical update on the Weather Channel [I love the stressful music that leads into the segment], and Walton County has mailed me a little suprise I've yet to open....My amended property tax bill. Pass the Advil please.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Didja see the front page of today's NY Times, which includes an article about the St. Joe Company's new "neo-cracker" development in the backwater mosquito fields of Bay County? The plan is to give people who never had a chance to live on a farm or at a fishing camp the opportunity to fish, sit on a front porch with a flapping screen, plow the earth, and experience what it's like to be a Florida "cracker." (I'm not making this up.) Can't wait to tell my brother in DeFuniak to throw some millet on that pond at the Euchee Valley farm and wait for the cracker estates trend to make him a gazillionaire.

Wait until those cracker wannabes find out that their livestock will consist of gators, racoons, and mosquitoes the size of helicopters; that flappin' screens are an invitation to same mosquitos (West Nile will replace chronic fatigue syndrom.) and racoons (not to mention meph fans looking for a little cash or their tv to fence); that a plow mule will kick you if it gets any chance at all, and lives for the hope of a kick to the head; and that Walton County will increase their tax rates by 58% for this sublime experience.

Don't get me started...it's only Monday and we haven't yet received the magic envelope. :rotfl:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oh Donna....that was priceless and sad at the same time. Makes me think there will come a time when our descendents will go to museums to see what grass, trees, beach sand, etc. used to look like. Why do these developers feel the need to "sell a lifestyle"? Well, maybe in the swamps it is necessary!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Bob said:
I've opened "my" tax bill. Get the defrib paddles!

This would be the REAL bill, huh?

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Donna said:
Didja see the front page of today's NY Times, which includes an article about the St. Joe Company's new "neo-cracker" development in the backwater mosquito fields of Bay County? The plan is to give people who never had a chance to live on a farm or at a fishing camp the opportunity to fish, sit on a front porch with a flapping screen, plow the earth, ........
:sosad:
Plow the earth of backwater mosquito fields?? Now that's some prime farmground. Or will they "fill" with some of that 6.2 "sand" that was removed from the beach. Then maybe they can plow through.

(Truth is - I don't know what backwater mosquito fields are :dunno:) Assuming swamp!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Sueshore said:
This would be the REAL bill, huh?[/QUOTE Yes , the real bill. My rant is in the tax bill thread. Proposed taxes went up almost fivefold.

JT

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2005
Atlanta
Thank you for all that information. My wife and I just paid our insurance for the year and couldn't believe it went up 110%. We haven't made a claim since OPAL so we couldn't understand. We called the commissioner and were about to file a grievance. Now I see we don?t really have a leg to stand on, everyone is getting nailed.
I still haven't seen the tax bill, I think my wife is keeping that one from me.
Anyway, thank you again, I'm glad to see others complaining so I know its not just me.

jt

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Misery loves company. Hang in there!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
JT said:
Thank you for all that information. My wife and I just paid our insurance for the year and couldn't believe it went up 110%. We haven't made a claim since OPAL so we couldn't understand. We called the commissioner and were about to file a grievance. Now I see we don?t really have a leg to stand on, everyone is getting nailed.
I still haven't seen the tax bill, I think my wife is keeping that one from me.
Anyway, thank you again, I'm glad to see others complaining so I know its not just me.

jt
Here's some more incredible info. Citizen's was designed to be an insurance company of last resort. It was meant to be phased out by 2012. My original numbers on policyholders was low, as of last January, 814,081 homeowners. Guess the number one insurance company in Fl.....State Farm. How about number two? Citizen's Property Ins. Corp. Citizen's could have asked it's policyholders for an additional 650-700 dollars to cover their shortfall. Instead, as is allowed by law, they reached into everyone's pocket for the extra money. You are paying for two insurers for every home you have. "Last Resort"....nice...how about "first in line".