• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I just read in The Sun that the CAA and the TDC are not having the Flutterby Festival--the children's art festival to honor the migration of the Monarchs--this year.

Apparently there is no money for sponsorship.

This has been my granddaughter's favorite event since she was a baby...I can not believe it has been canceled. Abbee will be so disappointed and so I am I!

I understand a slow down in the economy is affecting us all--but why does it have to be the children's festival that is cut?:cry::cry:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I just read in The Sun that the CAA and the TDC are not having the Flutterby Festival--the children's art festival to honor the migration of the Monarchs--this year.

Apparently there is no money for sponsorship.

This has been my granddaughter's favorite event since she was a baby...I can not believe it has been canceled. Abbee will be so disappointed and so I am I!

I understand a slow down in the economy is affecting us all--but why does it have to be the children's festival that is cut?:cry::cry:

The US and state economy is seriously in the ditch--moreso than many realize (or want to admit)--it's a good opportunity to teach the little tykes about the economy and finance.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I don't disagree, Shel...but most of these little tykes are already learning a hard lesson...
my concern is what priority was used to cancel the festival...are we going to get something else comparable to Big Blue Signs at the expense of the festival for the kids...

It just makes me sad and angry on all kinds of levels:bang:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
How much sponsorship does a children's art festival need? Why not just scale it back but keep it alive.

good question; and that is what bothers me the most. I don't recall a community "shout out" for sponsorships...so, who made the decision and what criteria did they use?

Flutterby Postponed until next year

Here is the press release announcing the postponement of this year's Flutterby Festival. The decision was made by the Cultural Arts Association Board and by me, Jennifer Steele Saunders, the newly appointed Executive Director, due to untimely funding cuts and other reasons beyond our control.

The TDC had given a marketing grant to Flutterby; they are not responsible for this decision. We thank the TDC and the community for their support and hope all will attend next year's Flutterby Festival.

[FONT=&quot]FLUTTERBY FESTIVAL TO MIGRATE EASTWARD DOWN 30-A[/FONT]

Event postponed and will move to new location in 2009

Santa Rosa Beach, FL - The Cultural Arts Association announces that the 2008 Flutterby Festival, an Autumn Tides event, will be postponed until next fall where it will find a new home at WaterColor’s Marina Park and be sponsored by The St. Joe Company’s WaterColor Inn & Resorts.

The Festival is scheduled for November 13 – 15, 2009, which is a month later in the year than it has historically been held. With the cooler weather and the closer proximity to gift-giving holidays, it will be the perfect chance for area residents and visiting families to enjoy a culturally-filled weekend outdoors in the Beaches of South Walton.

“On behalf of the St. Joe Company, WaterColor’s homeowners and our resort team, we are thrilled to have been selected to host the 2009 Flutterby Festival” says JOE’s West Florida Director of Marketing, Stacy Hamilton. “The beautiful paths, native gardens and verdant parks planned carefully during the development of WaterColor have settled in so nicely and are now an integral part of the authentic and natural experience one finds throughout our community.”

The 2009 Flutterby Festival, which was named to celebrate the migration of the Monarch butterfly through our area, will offer an exciting and diverse array of artists and activities, including street and stage performances by live musicians and actors, storytelling, visual art demonstrations and workshops, local and regional art vendors, a children’s art and craft area and a butterfly costume parade. There will also be an opportunity to enjoy seasonal food and beverages.

The Festival is being relocated from its previous venue of Gulf Place where it was sponsored by ResortQuest. “The CAA Board and staff are grateful to ResortQuest, the Merchants of Gulf Place and the Gulf Place Resort for their many years of support of this event that has become a Walton County tradition,” says CAA President Carol Lench.

“The CAA is aware of the disappointment that will be caused by postponing this event that is anticipated by families, but we are confident that the Flutterby Festival will re-emerge next year with renewed strength and enthusiasm,” says CAA Executive Director Jennifer Steele Saunders. “We are looking forward to the new partnership with the St. Joe Company and WaterColor and the possibility for growth in this venue.”

Details on the 2009 Flutterby Festival will be forthcoming, and artist and vendor applications will be available in June 2009 via www.culturalartsassociation.org. Please call (850) 622-5970 with any questions.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Thanks for the information. I am still disappointed...and wonder why a smaller version could not have been pulled off.

I do appreciate your posting here though. It has always been a very special time for us. Was there an effort made to find more sponsors?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think the local sponsor pool is pretty slim, and are asked to give/donate for so many events.

We attended last year and it was fun, but I see some really great possibilities for its future. Just having it at Watercolor is an improvement- a much more natural and beautiful setting.

I think it is a great decision to take a year off, and come back really really awesome.

Thanks for the information. I am still disappointed...and wonder why a smaller version could not have been pulled off.

I do appreciate your posting here though. It has always been a very special time for us. Was there an effort made to find more sponsors?

We knew that many would be disappointed, and I want to assure the public that Flutterby will continue for the enjoyment of all next year and for years to come.

In our effort to find more sponsors at the last minute, an opportunity arose for the CAA to move the Festival to a fresh venue with a new title sponsor. However, due to circumstances beyond our control we could not take advantage of this offer until 2009.

That fact combined with our desire to produce a higher quality event and not a "watered-down" version of previous Flutterby Festivals helped us to make this decision..

I do thank you all for expressing your enthusiasm for the event, though, and hope you will be understanding and supportive of the CAA as we prepare for next year's Flutterby Festival at WaterColor.