• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I live in Blue Mtn (yay!), and I walk mornings and evenings. There is much confusion regarding whether to walk on left or right side depending on where one is walking. I often feel like a Dr Seuss Zax on the prairie of Prax wondering who is going to 'give' first when walking directly toward each other. Inevitably, I give.

It is my understanding that if walking on the walking/bike path or sidewalk, one stays on the right side so that others, such as cyclists and runners can pass on the left. (and THANK YOU to those who ring a bell or shout out 'on your left' when approaching)

From a young age I was taught if walking on a road, one should walk FACING traffic - on the left side - that way a person can see oncoming traffic. (it is actually FL law, but pretty sure same everywhere in North America). There are several neighborhood streets I walk that don't have a sidewalk, and I always walk on left side of road - against traffic. Even though there is little traffic on some of these roads, it is safer and systematic. Some vehicles, such a hybrids can't even be heard behind a walker.

Lastly, it is appreciated if walking with more than one person, to kindly line up single file when others are approaching, otherwise approaching person may be forced into the grass and step in poop (but that's a whole nother thread! :poop:)

Thought I would put this out there as a reminder and or clarification for safety and piece of mind.
:thanks: for reading!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I believe what you listed regarding the bike path is also codified in the bike path rules.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
It annoys me when folks drive their golf carts on the left side of the bike path! I'm like "we're not in England for goodness sakes!".
Especially since golf carts aren't even supposed to be on the bike path at all!