• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
We can only hope that the more billboards out there and signage that we'd just as soon not need to have cluttering up all the beauty, might get through to one more person and divert another bad life memory.

People just need to open their eyes to what is all around them instead of their 3 square feet of personal space and the messge is out there, loud and clear.

I people watch whenever I can and it is just amazing to see how often people honestly aren't paying attention further than a few feet infront of their very lives. I believe televisions, telephones, video games and computers steadily teach society that this is all the further they need to be able to see.

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
Would it be worth it to train emergency personell water rescue when we do have an issue of any lifeguard gaining access to the area of his/her need. Of course it would be worth it. There is opportunity for improvement here instead of just saying that he didn't look at the flag. I just hope that everytime we have a personal disaster here, such as this, that it is esculated to the proper folks in charge and that we take a serious look to see what we could possible do in the future to avoid a 20-30 minute response time.
That is all. What can we do to make ourselves better. There is no blame here but there is an opportunity for improvement.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I appreciate your point and doubt that Scooterbug is pleased in some way that one swimmer died.
I am not sure what the county can do to ensure more successful rescues. It seems to me the best strategy is to prevent people from getting into the water on red flag days, and I think most would agree the county does a fine job with the flags and beach safety campaign.
If I am not mistaken, Bay County has more lifeguards on beaches than does Walton, and my perception is that more people drown in Bay than Walton (I could be wrong with that stat, it is just my perception based on what I hear on the news). I don't know what else Walton can do to protect people who put themselves in harms way.
By the way, kudos to the rescue swimmer who hoofed-it down the beach and managed to pull three people out of that water.

Sorry, your assessment is with the unicorns.

Bay County has far fewer life guards covering far fewer beaches. in fact the life guards in Bay County are only located at the City and County Piers.

On the other hand in Bay County it is required that all beach chair personnel be certified life guards. I'm not sure if that is actually enforced or verified, but I know it is the law. This was the solution to no life guards that the BCC came up with years ago, not sure if the addition of some life guards changed it or not.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
It was like deja vue this morning to open the paper to read that the man who drowned was from Lafayette, Indiana. He died because he and two others went into the water to rescue some children they saw struggling.

So there are indeed chuckleheads in this story. Chuckleheads who don't exercise parental responsibility to tell their little darlings to stay out of the water when the red flag is waving. Chuckleheads who--directly or not--contributed to the death of a man whose only fault was that he was a good Samaritan. That's the tragedy.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Oh my Mermaid that is so, so sad. Just a major tragedy all around. When my daughter was working the kid's camp at Seaside she was alarmed at the risks so many parents took with their children and how many of them were drinking heavily and just letting their children run amuck. So sad for all involved.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
this man was a hospital administrator and pillar of his community. this tragedy could have been averted if the parents were as responsible as the rescuer.
however, let's bear in mind, while some folks are simply not going to pay attention no matter what you say, many people here are visitors and do not understand how dangerous and undertow can be, do not see the flags and often do not know what the flag system means. thankfully, sowal now has lifeguards, but despite it's horrible safety record, sandestin still doesn't have any. i think it's important to remember that visitors are guests here and as guests who may not understand the lay of the land, we are responsible for their safety.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
I do see the point about the flag system. I personally am a very accomplished swimmer and do not go in when there is a red flag unless I am surfing. It is however a choice as the single red flag does not close the water. I think everyone is somehow missing the point that in a beach town with thousands of ocean swimmers there should be a better rescue system in place for this type of problem. The initial response was so rapid, but they could not do anything to help. It was at least another 20-30 minutes before someone equipped to help these people came and that is just too long. Train some fire responders and put paddleboards or even a small pwc on the fire equipment. If that saved one life it would be worth it. It would have saved this swimmer I would bet.

pirate, i couldn't agree with you more.
as a community whose properity is tied to those guests who visit us, it's our moral obligation to ensure their well-being. we also do not have a trauma unit within ambulance range of our beaches. the closest certified trauma unit is in pensacola which is 20 minutes by lifeflight, that means if the emts can stabilize someone for at least 20-40 minutes, they will simply not make it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, many people are visitors, but I really don't know what MORE we can do to get the word out about the flag system or rip currents.

When I walk down to the beach I pass the large sign explaining them in 2 languages, if I go to throw something away or leave the beach there is another sign, when the clock radio goes off in the morning the DJ is talking about how you should check the flag system and beware of rip tides, I've got a free t-shirt w/ the flag system printed on it, the free local paper prints it every week, there are TV commercials about it, many owners provide info about it in their units ..............

The problem is not a lack of trying to protect our visitors, the problem is people ignoring those attempts.

Last edited:

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
Yes, many people are visitors, but I really don't know what MORE we can do to get the word out about the flag system or rip currents.

When I walk down to the beach I pass the large sign explaining them in 2 languages, if I go to throw something away or leave the beach there is another sign, when the clock radio goes off in the morning the DJ is talking about how you should check the flag system and beware of rip tides, I've got a free t-shirt w/ the flag system printed on it, the free local paper prints it every week, there are TV commercials about it, many owners provide info about it in their units ..............

The problem is not a lack of trying to protect our visitors, the problem is people ignoring those attempts.

oh SO much more can be done to get the word out about safety. no visitor is going to listen to your local station - they've go their ipods!- or is at their hotel watching tv- their making sure they spend every minute outside on their vacation!- or is reading your local paper- what do they care? the fact that "many" owners provide info in their units instead of ALL property owners and concierge services being required to explain it is an indicator

hopefully the powers that be here..tdc? will come up with a cohesive communications plan for water safety and hurricane evacuation (return) that the short or long term visit can tap into easily. there are lots of examples from other tourist destinations and cities.