• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
So, i'm just a stay at home mom reading the news here and seeing the reports of water rescues and/or drownings every week. It makes me sad, and it makes me want to do something. I thought of making up some sort of literature to give visitors when we're at the beach, but i'm just one person and there are miles of beach. Would anyone be interested in volunteering their time while at the beach to help us get the word out about the rip currents and how to get out of one? I sent SWFD an email just asking for the statistics for our area. I got a very positive response from them and need to get an idea of how many people would be willing to help. I'm not great at organizing but perhaps together, we can save some lives while enjoying our beaches. What do you think? :wave:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Really? I do hope to get some people together even if it's a small group. Here's the email I received from Chief Talbert and i'm posting with his permission: Thanks to all. :wave:

Kelly,

Thank you again for interest in further educating beachgoers on the beach flags and rip currents. Your idea is a good one and from my perspective may not cost anything additional other than a commitment of time from you and other volunteers.

Currently our lifeguards in conjunction with the TDC distribute a couple of different brochures and information that provide an explanation of the flag system, the ?7 tips? for family beach safety and other frequently asked questions. The lifeguards at our eight public beach accesses not only guard and patrol their locations they also employ what we call public contacts and preventative measures, meaning, they take the time to interface directly with beach goers, distribute brochures along the way and intervene where they can in a proactive way to point out hazards and danger. With twenty-six miles of beach in South Walton obviously they cannot contact everyone.

A simple grassroots effort may be an additional tool to help us all make everyone?s visit to our beaches a safe and memorable one. I am willing to facilitate a meeting location and obtain the brochures if you are still willing to organize such an effort.

Making everyone?s visit to our beaches a safe one is a collective responsibility between public safety (SWFD/WCSO) our citizens and our visitors. You are probably already aware that this issue is not just focused on our visitors, our residents don?t always set a good example and at times need to be reminded of the hazards that may exist.

Thank you again for taking the time to contemplate how you can help us prevent a tragedy from occurring and making our beaches safer.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Rick Talbert, CFO
Fire Chief/Administrator
South Walton FIRE DISTRICT
850-267-1298
SWFD - HOME
"Prompt, Competent, Caring Response in Time of Need"

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
How about a really cool, artsy poster that rental owners can frame and put in their rentals in a place where people can read them. Something read-able, that has the flag system and how to get out of a rip tide if stuck in one (and maybe something about not to leave lights on at night and to fill in holes for the turtles). I think some visitors are honestly naive about safety (I certainly was before I learned about it by having a place in SoWal and being on this board), and just don't think about these things. Even though they see the flags, they may not realize how bad a red flat really can be. The poster could be in different sizes (small for the bathroom - I think people are looking for something to read in the bathroom).

Something that gives people the safety tips, says it's because we love our guests in SoWal, yet doesn't scare them. Something kids would read and then remind their parents of the safety rules. People often don't read brochures (except they would on the beach if someone gave it to them).

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
How about a really cool, artsy poster that rental owners can frame and put in their rentals in a place where people can read them. Something read-able, that has the flag system and how to get out of a rip tide if stuck in one (and maybe something about not to leave lights on at night and to fill in holes for the turtles). I think some visitors are honestly naive about safety (I certainly was before I learned about it by having a place in SoWal and being on this board), and just don't think about these things. Even though they see the flags, they may not realize how bad a red flat really can be. The poster could be in different sizes (small for the bathroom - I think people are looking for something to read in the bathroom).

Something that gives people the safety tips, says it's because we love our guests in SoWal, yet doesn't scare them. Something kids would read and then remind their parents of the safety rules. People often don't read brochures (except they would on the beach if someone gave it to them).
great idea paula! the framed poster could be uniquely artsy and funn and informative. there could also be a smaller version for a flyer - the TDC or SWFD probably has a flyer already but I'm not sure how they are given out.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Kelly, you are not "just a stay at home mom", you're the mom of two precious babies that you want to keep safe along with all the other folks you like to share your beaches with. You're a thoughtful, inspired mom who'd like to do something to make a difference.
Bravo to you! Great ideas, everyone. I'd hand out some flyers when I'm there if that'll help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I have some very useful brochures and they're posted in my rentals, but I'm still not sure everyone looks at them. Maybe the poster design could be a contest. School kids could be invited to submit as well. The poster would teach yet be fun to look at - it would be designed to make water safety normal rather than exceptional or scary.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think a striking poster would be the best way to reach people - especially if it was posted where it would be seen and studied - like in a bathroom at a local restaurant etc.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
Great ideas. I think the hand outs at the beach is a very good idea for those who missed the signs. I also think the poster is great. Bathrooms. Waiting areas for resteraunts, the line at Publix anywhere you have to wait and can't just run right by it.