• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
How frightening! I'm shocked that a police officer would do such a thing....what was he thinking?! What if some pervert were to dress up in a police officer's costume, slap a siren on his dashboard and approach these two girls some day? That cop was was basically teaching them to trust anyone in a police uniform driving a car with a siren.

I definitely think you need to say something to his superiors. I hope the girls understand that the officer acted inappropriately and that they should never get into any strange vehicle REGARDLESS of who's behind the wheel!

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
True about the possiblilty of bad judgement, but........

In our church and in this denomination (as it should be in ALL denominations), we have a policy and a discipline called "Safe Sanctuaries" and it requires no child or teen is alone with an adult, AT ANY TIME. There always has to be another adult or another teen in the same room or car (carpooling to and from events). It's not only for the safety of the child/youth but for the adult as well. It does require a lot of extra planning and obtaining volunteers, but if it's not followed, the event is cancelled.

It's really just common sense and I'm surprised that the officer used such poor judgement. Getting to know the police is done in public situations, "Officer Friendly", etc. That way parents can teach their children w/o the worry of something exactly like this happening.

It is the same at our School/Church. If a parent wants to be a volunteer, coach, go on field trips, ect., you are required to take a class called, Protecting God's Children. The class, for the most part, was a waste of time. The only thing it did stress was, as an adult, NEVER put yourself in a position with a child the could be viewed as "questionable". If you are a coach and there is a parent that is late, you have to ask another parent to stay with you until that parent arrives, stuff like that.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
The cop should be reported immediately. It should serve as wake-up call for you to exercise more parental supervision.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
The cop should be reported immediately. It should serve as wake-up call for you to exercise more parental supervision.

Well as harsh as your tone is, I have to agree with you. My children play in the same trees, bushes, roads, yards, etc., as I did as a child and it is difficult for me to grasp why my children can't have the same security in their surroundings as I did. As a perfect parent, who never has their children out of their sight, I hope that nothing ever happens to put you in the position that most mortal parents find themselves. Questioning their own judgement. Thank you for your interest.:razz:

Liv'smom - I don't think you need a wake up call regarding your parental supervision. You obviously have always felt safe with your children playing in their own yard in your safe neighborhood. But I think the sheriff definitely needs a wake up call. I'm sure he would not be pleased knowing his officer on patrol was taking time out of his work day to play with small kids in the patrol car and freak out their parents.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Liv'smom - I don't think you need a wake up call regarding your parental supervision. You obviously have always felt safe with your children playing in their own yard in your safe neighborhood. But I think the sheriff definitely needs a wake up call. I'm sure he would not be pleased knowing his officer on patrol was taking time out of his work day to play with small kids in the patrol car and freak out their parents.

:clap_1: I agree with steeling1.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com

Thank you steeleing1. It's all good. I know what kind of parent I am. I expected a little holier-than-thou when I made the post. I did and do feel safe there, but times they are a changin', right? Thank you again for the kind words.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Thank you steeleing1. It's all good. I know what kind of parent I am. I expected a little holier-than-thou when I made the post. I did and do feel safe there, but times they are a changin', right? Thank you again for the kind words.
Liv's mom, not to mention the fact that the times they are a confusin'. Once upon a time, "Stranger Danger" was the order of the day; parents were urged to teach their children to beware of anyone they didn't know and to look out for scary lookin' folk. The scary folk got smarter, the Internet developed great big arms that reached into almost every household, and then parents were told the old Stranger Danger concept was a thing of the past; the scary folk now looked like normal folk and also could hide their scary selves behind a computer screen. I can't imagine a more confusing, conflicting message than to have a child faced with a uniformed police officer (= safe), inviting a child into his car (= unsafe). Heck, that's practically higher math.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Liv's mom, not to mention the fact that the times they are a confusin'. Once upon a time, "Stranger Danger" was the order of the day; parents were urged to teach their children to beware of anyone they didn't know and to look out for scary lookin' folk. The scary folk got smarter, the Internet developed great big arms that reached into almost every household, and then parents were told the old Stranger Danger concept was a thing of the past; the scary folk now looked like normal folk and also could hide their scary selves behind a computer screen. I can't imagine a more confusing, conflicting message than to have a child faced with a uniformed police officer (= safe), inviting a child into his car (= unsafe). Heck, that's practically higher math.

This actually does remind me a little of one of the word problems in an IQ test. When faced with this same question, how many adults would "pass". I think the really important thing to teach our children is, if it smells fishy, it's probably fish. I just don't think my 9 year old realized yet the difference between fish and flowers.