• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
IN all probability it was a lapse of judgement on the officer's part. But it should be reported to the sheriff so that officers will not do the same thing without parental supervision. Thank goodness nothing happened. All parents should teach children NEVER to go into any strangers car under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. I think you should also inform your childrens school (w/o mentioning the identity of the officer) so that the teachers can tell children never to get into a strangers car EVEN IF IT IS A POLICEMAN. Kids that find themselves in the situation of being told that mom or dad was in an accident so I will take you to them should be trained TO CALL AUNTIE OR UNCLE OR GRANDMA OR GRANDPA and run away from the person that informs them of that info. We live in a crazy world so kids should be told to always be on guard....EVEN IF IT TEMPORARILY SPOOKS THEM. BTW, I am not a parent but it makes common sense to me.:dunno:

I have a different take on this. As usual, I have not read the whole thread but several posts on the 1st page. So this may have been stated by someone else :dunno:

In this day that action by the officer does seem a little strange. But several years ago we would have thought nothing of it. I remember years ago an Electric Power Board guy giving me a ride in his cherry picker. You just can't do that these days. Maybe he was just being nice thought the kids would get a real kick out of seeing the inside of the cop car (especially from the front seat :D ) and pushing all the buttons. Maybe he just had a Mayberry moment :dunno: . I don't know. I wouldn't get all that uptight about it. I think its good for kids to see the warn and nice side of officers instead of the stero type. JMHO:dunno:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
You are right RO- when we were growing up- checking out the sheriff's car would have been cool.

Trains run through the town I grew up in- they run out to the Ford truck plant, then back in. When we were little, there was a liquor store by the tracks, and every day the engineer would stop the train, hop out, and buy a 6 pack. My brother and his friends would wait for this guy occasionally, and get to ride out to the plant and back. The engineer would drink 3 beers going out and 3 beers coming back, then he would stop and let his passengers out of the engine cab. Gives a new meaning to drinking and driving!:eek: Mom never really gave it a thought.

If Will did something like this today- I would die of a panic attack.

You are right RO- when we were growing up- checking out the sheriff's car would have been cool.

Trains run through the town I grew up in- they run out to the Ford truck plant, then back in. When we were little, there was a liquor store by the tracks, and every day the engineer would stop the train, hop out, and buy a 6 pack. My brother and his friends would wait for this guy occasionally, and get to ride out to the plant and back. The engineer would drink 3 beers going out and 3 beers coming back, then he would stop and let his passengers out of the engine cab. Gives a new meaning to drinking and driving!:eek: Mom never really gave it a thought.

:shock: Wow! Time sure have changed :funn:

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com

Too true. My parents used to run Pirate's Cove when it was a camp ground, so that was our play ground before we moved over to Inlet Beach. Campers would invite us to eat, swim, whatever they had going on, we would get invited. My parents didn't know where we were half the time. But that was a different time. Things could have gone wrong then, but would most assurdely go wrong nowadays.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have a different take on this. As usual, I have not read the whole thread but several posts on the 1st page. So this may have been stated by someone else :dunno:

In this day that action by the officer does seem a little strange. But several years ago we would have thought nothing of it. I remember years ago an Electric Power Board guy giving me a ride in his cherry picker. You just can't do that these days. Maybe he was just being nice thought the kids would get a real kick out of seeing the inside of the cop car (especially from the front seat :D ) and pushing all the buttons. Maybe he just had a Mayberry moment :dunno: . I don't know. I wouldn't get all that uptight about it. I think its good for kids to see the warn and nice side of officers instead of the stero type. JMHO:dunno:

I agree somewhat. When I was a kid, my parents would not have minded me checking out the cop car, esp. since my cousin was the Sheriff. However, today is much different.

Let me ask you this, How, or would your reponse be different if the cop was an undercover officer in an unmarked car? :dunno:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree somewhat. When I was a kid, my parents would not have minded me checking out the cop car, esp. since my cousin was the Sheriff. However, today is much different.

Let me ask you this, How, or would your reponse be different if the cop was an undercover officer in an unmarked car? :dunno:

I guess it is probably illegal for me to beat the crap out of the undercover cop. But that would be my first instinct.

I would start wondering what I had done wrong :dunno: :funn: