• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Update

Good morning everyone. First, let me say wow. Thanks to all who took an interest in my post. Your concern and feedback were staggering. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to put in their two cents. Also, I would like to remind everyone that the incident I wrote about was not witnessed by anyone but a 9 year old and a 2 year old. I believe that it went down the way my 9 year old said because I know her to be a truthful child. No one else here is expected to believe that this is what happend beyond a shadow of a doubt, as you don't know her. I am only saying this because I saw mention of having a law enforcement official read all of this and I want everyone to understand that I did not witness any of this myself. I don't want to make anyone out to be a bad guy, I just want folks to be aware. Anyway, here is what happened;
I called last night at about 6:30. I relayed the story to the dispatcher as it was told to me by my 9 year old. His response was very guarded, understandably. He asked me where it happened, if anyone else was around, etc. I explained that I wasn't upset or looking to persue anything, I just wanted them to be aware. He said that he would have his sergeant call me. Although the dispatcher did not say so, I could tell by his response that it was highly out of the norm. He kept saying things like, "if this is what happened". I was not in the least bit offended, I understand their position. So about a half hour later the sergeant calls. He says that he will have to find out from the weekend supervisor who was on patrol in our neighborhood that day and he would deal with it as seen fit. (On a side note, I got my days mixed up because of the long weekend. This actually happened on Sunday. ) I tell him that is fine, I'm not trying to point any fingers. No harm was done, again I just want them to be aware that it could have been blown way out of proportion by someone else. The sergeant, was more forthcoming with the inappropriateness of the situation. He said that the officers do sometimes blow their sirens for kids on the street, just like truck drivers do, but that if this is what happened he doesn't agree with it. I told him that I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, that I had let my girls know why this was not okay and I just thought he should do the same. I explained how it was difficult for me to teach them about not getting in the car with strangers no matter how they are dressed if one of his uniformed officers was inviting them into his car. He said he understood my position completely. I thanked him for calling me back and he was very gracious about the whole thing. I think all in all it was a good thing. I don't know whether I will be contacted again. I told him I didn't need to know who this officer was and that I do appreciate their presence in the neighborhood. Thanks again for everyones concern.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks for posting and being reasonable with them. I hope the SO sees the responses here.

A lot of people still see this place as Mayberry and I'm thankful for that. And it is compared to the big city.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Thanks for posting and being reasonable with them. I hope the SO sees the responses here.

A lot of people still see this place as Mayberry and I'm thankful for that. And it is compared to the big city.

That's kind of how I still see it. I've only lived in one other place and that was just on the other side of Lake Powell at Pirates Cove. It's hard to let go of the past. When you have the opportunity to grow up in a place like this, you want the same for your kids.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Liv's Mom,

Just chiming in here at the ending - I didn't see your thread yesterday. You did the right thing by reporting the incident. I can assure you that your complaint wasn't taken lightly.

As the wife of a WCSO deputy, I'm shocked and embarrassed. As a mom, I would freak. Deputies are supposed to be friendly, but not THAT friendly. Plus, play with his siren? The sirens are so loud that, up close, they scare most kids. Especially girls! :shock:

I'm hoping it was just one of the younger guys, who doesn't have kids and doesn't understand how strange his actions may seem or the fear a mom has for her childrens' safety. And I'm hoping his intentions were innocent.

Meanwhile, I'm going to ask my spouse if he did any patrolling in Inlet Beach Sunday afternoon. :dunno:

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Liv's Mom,

Just chiming in here at the ending - I didn't see your thread yesterday. You did the right thing by reporting the incident. I can assure you that your complaint wasn't taken lightly.

As the wife of a WCSO deputy, I'm shocked and embarrassed. As a mom, I would freak. Deputies are supposed to be friendly, but not THAT friendly. Plus, play with his siren? The sirens are so loud that, up close, they scare most kids. Especially girls! :shock:

I'm hoping it was just one of the younger guys, who doesn't have kids and doesn't understand how strange his actions may seem or the fear a mom has for her childrens' safety. And I'm hoping his intentions were innocent.

Meanwhile, I'm going to ask my spouse if he did any patrolling in Inlet Beach Sunday afternoon. :dunno:

No he didn't seem to take it lightly at all. He was borderline skeptical, which is of course understandable. If you find out through your husband who the officer was, please don't post anything eluding to his identity. I'm sure as an officer's wife I don't have to remind you of the importance of discression. If it was a mistake, I don't want him to suffer any embarrasment over this whole thing. Thank you for the support.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La

I think of it as mayberry,:love: in a coastal sort of way...
If this works, this is the new face of neighborhood watch.:clap_1:

love the new neighborhood watch!!!:love: toooooo cute!!!

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
You don't need correcting, the officer in question does. I think I would go higher than Ralph with a report. Sometimes these things are listened to and that's as far as it goes, and they hang up the phone laughing. You need to have a DOCUMENTED COMPLAINT on file with the State Police. That way nothing can accidentally get "lost" or swept under the rug in the sheriffs dept. Child predators come in all shapes, sizes, professions, denominations, colors etc in every corner of the world. Don't let this go!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I am a Mom and a grandmother to a 3 year old. Last night I could not sleep for thinking about this situation.

The thing that bothers me the most is that when this law enforcement person saw two small children playing alone in an isolated area--he apparently did not immediately go to find the responsible parents and make sure they were in fact paying attention to their children; instead, he engaged these children in what IMO was a totally inappropriate activity.

Regardless of whether he was acting innocently or not--as a parent I would be much more interested in knowing that Sheriff Johnson had a talk with him and let him know what his priorities should be in that situation.

Believe me, if this official is innocent, he will appreicate being better informed so that he does not get himself and the Sheriff's Department in a difficult situation; if he was not innocent, then hopefully he will be relieved of his duties and someone else's children will not be potential victims.

The law enforcement officials work for us--the public --and we should hold them to the highest standards, especially where children are concerned.

Believe me, they can get out of line. I had it happen with my 13 year old son once--and I and my son, ended up with a public apology from the chief of police; the officer was reprimanded; and my son saw his Mom stand up to the authority figure who was so obviously out of line. We all learned from that experience and my son learned to question all authority and to stand up for himself.

IMO no parent need worry about getting an adult person in trouble for behaving inappropriately around children, regardless of whether or not the behavior was innocent.

I say call him on it, and let him explain to the parents what his intentions were! We'll all sleep better once that is done.:!: