• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
good show. a couple too many bands, playing too short sets, but still a good time.

chris, how did it go up in atlanta?
Exactly! The perfect night would have been....1 hour of Dread, and 1 hour of Jerry Douglas! And Nancy would not get her camera confiscated! :eek:

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
chris, how did it go up in atlanta?

John, it was a fantastic show. (Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett in a songwriter's format at the Tabernacle in Atlanta.) No tape, I was turned away at the door, and I didn't see anyone else taping either, so I assume it was artist's request. (Too bad, Guy said this was a no set-list show, so it really was a moment in time that would've been great to archive.) My seats were in the balcony at stage right, and we were right on top of Lyle! Guy commented at the start of the show that it had been a long time since they had played in a real bar. They played for 2.5 hours, only break was the brief little "game we play with the audience" as Guy called the encore. I had never seen Joe Ely before, he was very good, but John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett stole the show with what really appeared to be ad-lib banter and joking. It was cool to see the respect these guys all have for each other, as well as the respect they all had for Guy. Lyle ended the show with Clark's 'Step Inside This House', which was the first song Clark ever wrote; he never recorded it but Lyle did.

The Tabernacle was very cool, must've really been a scene when it was a church! Seats were miserably jammed together, side by side and front to back- I ended up standing behind my seats at the back of the balcony the whole show. The floor was a temporary setup with folding chairs- the place is better suited for a jam-band show, but is still a great venue.

After the show, walked across the street to Ted's Montana Grill. Starving, I ordered a ribeye and a Shiner Bock, continuing the Texas theme. Beer was great, the steak was so-so, and Ted's was a bit disappointing but did fill my belly.