• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
This is news to me.

I'm speaking in the general sense. We have had our share of overconfidence and mortgage fraud and condo project implosions here in Tampa. Lots of projects that were timed just terribly, and we've had a significant amount of fraud cases. And the Tampa area still is a reasonably stable market (for now). The price declines haven't been too bad but inventory is high. It is much worse in other markets.

I should clarify that I don't believe the Aquatera story (whatever it truly is) is a common one. But c'mon -- the swing from outrageous optimism to guarded concern to bust is playing out all over the place.

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
Kinda correct. Did anyone get taken on a pre-sale? Or was it just the bank?

Slimy business practices are slimy business practices, and fraud is fraud. period. It doesn't mater if individuals were hurt, or if it was "just" the banks. It doesn't matter if people made money off of it, or lost money on it.

I have zero tolerance or sympathy for the people that perpetuated the "frauds" in this real estate bubble, or for that matter, for the ones that simply looked the other way and allowed it to go on in order to profit from it.

What goes around comes around ... and boy oh boy is it coming around.

Last edited:

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Slimy business practices are slimy business practices, and fraud is fraud. period. It doesn't mater if individuals were hurt, or if it was "just" the banks. It doesn't matter if people made money off of it, or lost money on it.

I have zero tolerance or sympathy for the people that perpetuated the "frauds" in this real estate bubble, or for that matter, for the ones that simply looked the other way and allowed it to go on in order to profit from it.

What goes around comes around ... and boy oh boy is it coming around.

You are correct. I use to work for AmSouth in Birmingham as a lender. I saw a many go to jail for BANK FRAUD!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
This thread is interesting to read from start to finish. Unfolds like a novel....