• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Yes, and it is one I need to heed. But I am pulling an SJ and goofing off instead of cleaning my house. :lol: I will resort to messing around with a sheep before laundry it seems.

Procastinating for some comic relief is allowed. :D Just make sure you check for those st00pid sowal stickers :love: so they don't multiply and before you know it, they have increased the density of sowal. :funn:

Last edited:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I'll agree that the pseudo-academic, eggheaddy, overly flowerly, imprisoned-in-an-ivory tower prattle and prose seems designed to do nothing more than confuse the reader, but TheSheep's very clear in his distaste of SoWal. "I" think little of his opinion but heck, that's only "my" opinion, and I've lost interest in trying to convert him. I don't think he's sincere. ;-)

Ahhh...you may have it here! Mostly here to "flame" and practice his "prattle"??

AJB

Beach Crab
Jun 13, 2005
Gosh folks. This whole post reminded me of the seawalls wars. I do agree with the Sheepster though. We first started coming down in the 70's - having fled Destin due to over development. We stayed at the Seagrove Motel. So beautiful. Grayton Beach was wonderful. Then came Seaside and the rest of is history. We moved our vacation spots further east on 30A - thought we had carved out a spot to vacation that was still in a pristine condition - then came Rosemary Beach and whatever else is down there now. The laid-back atmosphere that made 30A so special is gone. Don't get me wrong - I would live there if I could afford it. For an older gal like me, change is hard and in my view, the change on 30A is not what I wanted to see.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Gosh folks. This whole post reminded me of the seawalls wars. I do agree with the Sheepster though. We first started coming down in the 70's - having fled Destin due to over development. We stayed at the Seagrove Motel. So beautiful. Grayton Beach was wonderful. Then came Seaside and the rest of is history. We moved our vacation spots further east on 30A - thought we had carved out a spot to vacation that was still in a pristine condition - then came Rosemary Beach and whatever else is down there now. The laid-back atmosphere that made 30A so special is gone. Don't get me wrong - I would live there if I could afford it. For an older gal like me, change is hard and in my view, the change on 30A is not what I wanted to see.
Thanks for your post. Interesting to hear another perspective.
Good luck. :roll:

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
Wow theres alot to read here......but it's simple really, change is inevitable, I have only been going to Seagrove for vacation for about five years and I have seen it, the growth and developmenet. But the bottom line is it's truly a wonderful place, to live, to vist, or just drive through. I can only visit the beaches of south walton once a year and it never disappoints us, we love the area:love:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach

We too have this lingering fear that by the time we are ready to retire, 30A may be so crowded we may not want to live there full-time! We were impressed by the fact that the area restricted building heights, and had the forsight to actually have some plans in place (unlike the Destin area). Now we must concern ourselves that the elected officials will uphold those restrictions. :dunno:

I still think we will eventually make the permanent move and be happy with it. I will be sad if things get too crowded though and the area becomes stripped of it's natural beauty. I feel very good about the community and activism within it - this is what can help SoWal remain SoWal, the wonderful place that it is.

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Sheepster, Your Cape San Blas play is solid, as the development will eventually come to you. The PC airport to be built is the catalyst, and the beauty and relative isolation will be the draw. SoWal has the slight edge on beach visuals, but yes, Gordon Gecko set up shop here a few years ago, and will not be leaving.
The PC airport is a good/bad proposition. This will mean more ferners flying in. Having spent six months on Sanibel, I can tell you that Speedos and German male ale sluggers do not, repeat, do not coexist well.

I believe you are correct re: the draw and I also belive that a significant incfrease in pricing will materialize. Which makes TheSheep wonder why it is that he is having trouble finding sheepskins to invest. :dunno:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Methinks TheSheep needs to learn to multi-quote.
Nice catcher you have their, Pea. TheSheep has spent many suns and moons behind the lesser of the battery, my wool still bears the marks of 202 stitches, must be a cow thing. :blink:

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
We too have this lingering fear that by the time we are ready to retire, 30A may be so crowded we may not want to live there full-time! We were impressed by the fact that the area restricted building heights, and had the forsight to actually have some plans in place (unlike the Destin area). Now we must concern ourselves that the elected officials will uphold those restrictions. :dunno:

I still think we will eventually make the permanent move and be happy with it. I will be sad if things get too crowded though and the area becomes stripped of it's natural beauty. I feel very good about the community and activism within it - this is what can help SoWal remain SoWal, the wonderful place that it is.

Another plus is the permanent conservation land -- lots and lots and lots of it, relatively speaking -- in Walton County.

By the time we are ready to retire, I suspect there will be NO uncrowded beaches anywhere in the U.S., and SoWal will be about as good as it gets.

It definitely will never again look like it did 20 years ago. You can blame the dumb actions of certain developers or county commissioners, but if there weren't more people that needed or wanted housing, all this development would never have happened. The population thing is going to get way worse not better. :dunno: The current logjam of unsold properties will subside, at some point, because Florida is just getting more crowded. The only thing that is likely to stop it is some sort of major environmental catastrophe.

I have a friend who wants to have five children and complains about sprawl. :bang: It is what it is.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Another plus is the permanent conservation land -- lots and lots and lots of it, relatively speaking -- in Walton County.

By the time we are ready to retire, I suspect there will be NO uncrowded beaches anywhere in the U.S., and SoWal will be about as good as it gets.
TheSheep read that a X absorption rate, there is Y years until the beachfronts (which does not include first or second or other tiers), will be full. I don't know when you retire but I believe that was a 50 year Y.
As the Ram says, "Butt you could be wrong, TheSheep." :rotfl: