• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

All of 30-A is now open - had to take Mr Seagrover to his car - he had to walk about 3 miles home.

Dr Bawa's and 30-A Realty building seem to be ok.

Lot of trucks still in the area - we need rain - bad!!!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Thank you for the updates and info! Hope everyone is safe and sound!
The Walton Sun online failed to note the irony of it reporting on people not being able to get information on what was happening!

I live on Sugar Sand Lane behind Angelina's and let me tell you we were worried. Our backyard backs up to an empty lot, so we & workers from a construction crew were watering about 3 houses when the house 1 lot over from mine( house has a large deck on top of house) the fence & pool decking which is wood caught fire, then the lot next to our fence was burning.. I left my husband watering, grabbed the neighbors hose, but that was not enough, a couple of workers came with me and started using buckets to get water from the pool, I had to leave the smoke was too bad at that point, I just knew my house was going next, but somehow those guys were able to put out the fire. If you saw how big an area was on fire you would be shocked that they were able to put it out. The wind kept blowing in my direction it was just a matter of minutes before we were next. It was terrible knowing fire tricks were over at the Seagrove Bunglow's and could not get some over in our area. We are very fortunate that everything for us is okay, but I feel soo bad for the people behind us.
What a horrible experience! So sorry you had to experience that! So sorry for those who suffered loss. I know how hard we worked for what we have -- it is so frightening to think about the possibility of all of that work literally going up in smoke. :sosad:

jbwiggins

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

looks contained now. thanks to our neighbors for putting out the spot fires at rollin tides. Jb.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Jb-glad you're safe and sound! How was the party this weekend?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Can someone please give an update on the other fire in PCB? In many ways, this flare-up is more bothersome than the Seagrove fire - especially when they announced last night it was "100 percent contained."

Obviously there is a pretty big difference between "contained" and "extinguished."

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

Looking out my back door, I don't see anything over near Tops'l. I'm right across the street from it. If anyone knows, PLEASE let us know! Thanks.

SoWal is totally a lifesaver. I was able to talk to friends that don't log on and keep them up-to-date with what they couldn't find out elsewhere. Thanks so much to everyone for their diligence in caring for our beloved area!:love: :love: :love:

tivoli

Beach Lover

A few photos of the tanker plane. Couldn't get any of the actual drop as it was below the tree line!

That's the 3rd story of our cottage!!! YIKES!!! Hope everyone is OK
and sorry about the loss of cottages in the area... Thank goodness
for the South Walton Fire Department and other's who helped in extinguishing
it!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

That's the 3rd story of our cottage!!! YIKES!!! Hope everyone is OK
and sorry about the loss of cottages in the area... Thank goodness