• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
After about a week of aiding the takeover of the discussion, I'm totally with Tuck. I'd like to see if we can make changes to the current ways of doing things with the spraying. We can't expect to suddenly jump from one system to another, but we need to all work together to find solutions.

Tuck, one of my mentors headed up the Biological Farmers of Australia for years. His name is Alf Orpen. He can assist me via e-mail and phone, if we would like his advice. He does come to the states twice a year and we can have him meet with anyone who would like to talk with him about this issue. How does that sound?

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
After about a week of aiding the takeover of the discussion, I'm totally with Tuck. I'd like to see if we can make changes to the current ways of doing things with the spraying. We can't expect to suddenly jump from one system to another, but we need to all work together to find solutions.

Tuck, one of my mentors headed up the Biological Farmers of Australia for years. His name is Alf Orpen. He can assist me via e-mail and phone, if we would like his advice. He does come to the states twice a year and we can have him meet with anyone who would like to talk with him about this issue. How does that sound?

Thanks... I guess it would come down to having the Mosquito Control Board and Director willing to listen to some alternatives. I think I read in one of these posts that Florida Girl would be willing to look at options. It would be great to get several members of this thread together to discuss the alternatives and make a presentation to Mosquito Control. It might nbe a way for people with differing views to come together.

We need a form of Mosquito control, just one that is fair and healthy for all.

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Florida girl, sorry to have put you on the spot in the above post. I was thinking it would be great to have you on board since you have such a long history in the area, and to represent your proud family tradition.

mothernature

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2005
Happy Mother's Day, and to Mother Earth as well. (a fitting acknowledgment on this thread.)

A Mom from Freeport said the squirrels in her back yard drag their hugely-swollen testicles on the ground behind them. She called them "tumorous". By the way, she also mentioned her son was sprayed in their back yard at the close of '06 spraying season. He was diagnosed with a tumor on his thyroid. He was in the peak of health prior to that time. She's convinced the incident was the cause.

A Mom from the Seaside/Seagrove area lost her six year old son to pesticides. Ask her how she feels about them.

A couple in Santa Rosa Beach area alarmed at their wetlands property. The frog and insect populations (bees, dragon flies, butterflies) are dwindling to nothing. Ask them why they think this has happened.

The stories go on and on. Stillbirths, low birth weight, cancers, new allergies in adults never having had a problem before, tremors, etc......... but, these things have no cause, right? Just mysteries of life? Or, maybe a gene we haven't discovered yet?"

To spray or not to spray, this is not the question. The question is :

"Doesn't this community care enough about the health and safety of living things-- insects, animals and other wildlife, children and adults, to do what other cities, counties and states have done--as a unified community, investigate and adopt healthier (safer) ways to solve their pest problems?"

Neighbor #1: "Listen, Rover has fleas. I decided to gas him. Then, I figured, I'll just gas all the dogs in the area. But fleas are a big problem, so I decided I'll just gas the whole community with chemicals to control the fleas." :cool:

Neighbor #2: "I've seen my dogs scratch. You might as well spray the whole community. Fleas are disease carriers and they are bothersome!" :eek:

Neighbor #3: "Wait, I don't own a dog. I don't want to be sprayed. How about instead of gassing the dogs or spraying the whole area, investigating the safest, most effective way to get rid of fleas? I've reasearched how harmful that gas is. Let's talk." :nono1:

Neighbor #1 and 2: "Oh, for heaven's sake. You're nuts!" :funn: :rotfl:

Happy Mother's Day?

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
Wow! just catching up on this thread. I'm all for personal choice and exploring other solutions. We are intelligent, creative problem solvers that should continue to question our surroundings. I choose to purchase local and or organic food when it's available. I have also chosen to grow my own vegetables and am not particularly fond of the mosquito spraying. I certainly understand everyone's need to be comfortable while enjoying the great outdoors, though I'm of the opinion that just because something doesn't kill us or our fellow creatures in the short term, doesn't mean it can't have lasting, evolved implications.

So, I just wanted to point out (if it hasn't been mentioned already) that Susanne at For the Health of it, has done extensive research on this topic, as well as, she's approached Mosquito Control with alternatives. Unfortunately, I believe she's never had any backup support. From the looks of this thread, it sounds like that support may be growing.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Happy Mother's Day, and to Mother Earth as well. (a fitting acknowledgment on this thread.)

A Mom from Freeport said the squirrels in her back yard drag their hugely-swollen testicles on the ground behind them. She called them "tumorous". By the way, she also mentioned her son was sprayed in their back yard at the close of '06 spraying season. He was diagnosed with a tumor on his thyroid. He was in the peak of health prior to that time. She's convinced the incident was the cause.

A Mom from the Seaside/Seagrove area lost her six year old son to pesticides. Ask her how she feels about them.

A couple in Santa Rosa Beach area alarmed at their wetlands property. The frog and insect populations (bees, dragon flies, butterflies) are dwindling to nothing. Ask them why they think this has happened.

The stories go on and on. Stillbirths, low birth weight, cancers, new allergies in adults never having had a problem before, tremors, etc......... but, these things have no cause, right? Just mysteries of life? Or, maybe a gene we haven't discovered yet?"

To spray or not to spray, this is not the question. The question is :

"Doesn't this community care enough about the health and safety of living things-- insects, animals and other wildlife, children and adults, to do what other cities, counties and states have done--as a unified community, investigate and adopt healthier (safer) ways to solve their pest problems?"

Neighbor #1: "Listen, Rover has fleas. I decided to gas him. Then, I figured, I'll just gas all the dogs in the area. But fleas are a big problem, so I decided I'll just gas the whole community with chemicals to control the fleas." :cool:

Neighbor #2: "I've seen my dogs scratch. You might as well spray the whole community. Fleas are disease carriers and they are bothersome!" :eek:

Neighbor #3: "Wait, I don't own a dog. I don't want to be sprayed. How about instead of gassing the dogs or spraying the whole area, investigating the safest, most effective way to get rid of fleas? I've reasearched how harmful that gas is. Let's talk." :nono1:

Neighbor #1 and 2: "Oh, for heaven's sake. You're nuts!" :funn: :rotfl:

Happy Mother's Day?

Case closed, cause and effect established. Thanks Mama Nature!:wave:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I have two things to post in regards to the aerial spraying. I have read over the fact sheet on Naled quickly and will pull an MSDS on it.

James Clauson responded to my inquiry. Here is his info:
James Clauson
Environmental Administrator
Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control
[SIZE=+0]DACS, State of Florida[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]1203 Governors Square Blvd., Suite 300[/SIZE]
850-922-7011 ext.103
Fax 850-413-7044
[SIZE=+0]Tallahassee, Florida, 32301-2994[/SIZE]

Here is the bulk of the letter that Mr. Clausen wrote to me:

Having spent much of my life growing up and working in Santa Rosa Beach and South Walton County, I have seen the problem with the biting dog flies first hand. The flies originate in the many inland animal feedlots of North Florida, Southern Alabama and South Georgia and are carried by north winds to the beaches of the Panhandle. When I was growing up, you could not go to the beaches along South Walton County after the first cold front moved through due to the thousands of flies that amass in the local beach communities. This proved to be quite a disappointment to me and my friends who enjoyed going to the beaches during this time of year and I can recall the impact fly season had on the local economy.
The personnel in the Operational Support Section that provide this valuable service of aerial spraying along the beaches of the panhandle are very well trained in the application of the pesticide Naled. Naled is the chemical of choice because of its low application rate, 0.66 ounce/acre, its effectiveness in reducing the number of target species and its rapid degradation in the environment. Because of these characteristics, the EPA has recently re-registered Naled for use in treating these and other pests.
Efforts taken to control the flies are quite extensive and are in accordance with strict statutory requirements. First, the flies are sprayed only when they congregate on the beach. The local mosquito control districts work with Operational Support staff to verify the need for spraying by taking landing rate counts and only when sufficient number of flies are present (minimum of 5 per minute), the plane is dispatched. Additional care is taken to insure spray equipment is calibrated and the meteorological conditions are conducive to the application of the pesticide. The attached fact sheet offers additional information on Naled which you may find useful.
Please understand that this aerial spraying is being accomplished for the benefit of all of the residents, as well as the many visitors that frequent South Walton and the rest of the Florida Panhandle. It is important to reiterate that spray operations are conducted only when necessary, and in compliance with label directions to protect the residents and visitors to South Walton and Grayton Beach.
If I can be of any further assistance with your concerns, please do not hesitate to call me at 850-922-7011, or e-mail me at clausoj@doacs.state.fl.us. I?ve included a link to the latest information from the EPA on the chemical Naled.