• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Aha! Go to Amore on 30A for pizza. It's on the west end so it will be pretty close to you (at Gulf Place). It has a big outdoor dining area and smaller indoor dining area.

Yes! Great pizza and the kids will love the cheesy bread!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
And you are aware of what the Fudpucker's t-shirts say? As in lots of plays on the f-word? :dunno:

We went once- never again. Filthy. The alligators do absolutely nothing but look dead.

I would knock this place off your list for sure!

Another reason I :love: you. Once is definitely too many times for Fud's. Even my little kids were wanting to leave.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Whales Tail is off Old 98 - just West of the outlet mall - It is part of Seascape. Right on the beach - and breakfast watching the dolphins is great. Or sunset in the fall with a cocktail two isn't too bad either

Just down from Whales Tail is Theo's Pizza. Pretty decent - Local hangout.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Yes, cheeseburger at Whale's Tail upstairs. A word to the wise-if you are going to do the Donut Hole, get there early as it is jam-packed by 10AM this time of year, and bring cash;it is cash only, and you can use the ATM on site if you are OK with a $3 transaction fee (on top of whatever your bank hits you with)!

There is no excuse to go to Fuddpucker's unless your kids are nagging you to death. Expect to experience a mega-madhouse of overstimulated kids, terribly mediocre yet expensive food and entry level service.

Nobody mentioned the bagel place in Destin. We did breakfast there and it was really good!

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
I know it's a little bit of a drive but my fav. is Dewey Destin. It's the last street before you go over the bridge to Ft. Walton. Sit on the piers and eat,great views. it's getting busier but it's still a great smaller (locals) place to eat.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I agree about Dewey Destins - had lunch there a couple of weeks ago - fresh - fresh fish - (not SYSCO) great views - a lot of locals there for lunch as well. My mahi mahi sandwich was around 8 dollars with fries and cole slaw. Not too bad for a fresh fish sandwich. If you haven't been there before go in to order - don't just sit down and wait for a waitress. When your order is ready they call out your name - wave and they will bring the food to your picnic table. When we were there the dolphins were swimming back and forth within 15 feet of the dock. Very picturesque. This is my sons favorite place - 2nd goes to Borago.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I know it's a little bit of a drive but my fav. is Dewey Destin. It's the last street before you go over the bridge to Ft. Walton. Sit on the piers and eat,great views. it's getting busier but it's still a great smaller (locals) place to eat.

I agree about Dewey Destins - had lunch there a couple of weeks ago - fresh - fresh fish - (not SYSCO) great views - a lot of locals there for lunch as well. My mahi mahi sandwich was around 8 dollars with fries and cole slaw. Not too bad for a fresh fish sandwich. If you haven't been there before go in to order - don't just sit down and wait for a waitress. When your order is ready they call out your name - wave and they will bring the food to your picnic table. When we were there the dolphins were swimming back and forth within 15 feet of the dock. Very picturesque. This is my sons favorite place - 2nd goes to Borago.

I too love Dewey Destin. :clap:

jlee745,
Before we discovered SoWal, we used to stay in SanDestin. We really liked the pizzas at Jordano's. Daughter and I liked the chicken and tomato, hubby liked the Italian sausage. We would have it at least twice during a weeklong visit. Now we'll stop there about once every two years on the way back from Destin to pick up a pizza to take back to SoWal. I'd say the pizza is better than Bruno's, way better than Angelina's, and Amoré doesn't compare because it's of a different genre.

We used to eat at Captain Jewel Melvin's for old-school seafood platters, La Paz, and Marina Café and Flamingo Café for more upscale food. I'm not sure which of those are there any more.

There are numerous great restaurants on 30-A that are discussed in another thread.

Oh, and daughter always had fun at Big Kahuna when she was younger. I don't know if it's worth the money for adults, but the kids get their money's worth.

Have funn!